Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2004, 11:26 AM   #1
VES

Stereo

I've got a 98 boxster with the upgraded stereo, Becker 210 with 6 speakers and amp. My questions are: does my unit have speed dependent volume control, and if so, how do I turn it on? I'd also like to add more bass, and am thinking of just putting a 6" bazooka tube on the passenger side footwell when I'm driving alone. However, I look at the existing amp setup and it looks like it's all put together with wiring harnesses, any idea how to figure out what wire is what? The reason I ask is that I'm thinking about replacing the factory 4 channel amp with a 5 channel amp (one channel being a sub output), and then only having to figure out how to get one wire back to the sub. Last, how good are the factory speakers, and is it worth worrying about to change them to a name brand aftermarket component system? Thank you all for any responses, I'm just getting started with this car, as I bought it used a month ago.

VES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 01:58 PM   #2

This is the 220 manual:

http://www.beckerautosound.com/om43-4462.pdf

http://www.ppbb.com/board/986board.htm

Sorry could not get closer, on the net.
Scott

Last edited by mrmickeymouse; 06-21-2004 at 02:06 PM.
mrmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 08:03 AM   #3

I have two 8" inch tubes in the rear trunk. It was about the biggest I could fit without any modification. I also added an amp in the front trunk that powers just the tubes. I also have the same factory set up as you, 6 speakers. In my opinion I was going to upgrade to MB quart, but thought not to go throught the hassle, they sound pretty good. I replaced my factory Unit, with an Alpine CVA- something or other, Idunno, the one with the 6.5 inch screen that retracts, It also has a seperate sub bass function that I can adjust the gain and the frequency of the tubes. and Also added an in dash DVD player where my cd holder was in the dash. I didnt have rear speakers, so I retrofitted mb quart 4X6's in the rear storage, and added home made grills, by popping out the rim of the hole in the storage and wrapping speaker grill fabric and snapping back. Looks and sound great! I wired the rear speakers directly into the factory amp ( with the help from crutchfield tech's that told me wich wires to hack into formt he speakers and for the radio so my door speakers would work. All in all the car looks great, sound great and the bass is pretty good even though its in my trucnk and the engine is in beween the speakers and I have no ports. I still fee the bass and the front speakers sound clear. For the $$ to ad the extra speakers in the rear and the subs and amp, it was pretty cheap and it sound great! Kinda funny when other boxster are next to me and they look at me puzzled as to how my stero is so loud and everything is hidden form view........remember what they cant see they cant steal!

jaygo44 is offline   Reply With Quote