Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2015, 12:55 PM   #1
rsf

Garage
Telescope not locking

Hi everyone...I've searched around but haven't been able to figure out what to do on this one. A little while back I went to adjust the steering wheel telescope on my 2003 Boxster S. The lever was very stiff and after being a little too persuasive the level eventually moved, but now the steering wheel telescope will not lock and the steering wheel moved in and out freely. I'm guessing broke something within the mechanism.

I've attached a few photos and am hoping someone can let me know what things are suppose to look like before I start pulling things apart or give me ideas on how to fix it. The car is drivable, just feels odd when the steering wheel slides out under heavy acceleration.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,

rsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 06:44 PM   #2
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Is your locking piston moving all the way back out?
with the steering wheel pushed in, my locking piston extends about 4mm, with the steering wheel fully extended, it's almost 8mm.
Steering wheel locked at short telescope:

Steering wheel locked at longest telescope:

Try spraying it with contact cleaner while moving the lock-lever. It shouldn't need any lube.
Also make sure that the block/wedge that the piston pushes on moves freely when the lock piston is retracted. Again, contact cleaner is probably the best fix. If all that's good, it has to be a problem inside the tube.

I have two spare steering columns that I don't expect to ever use. Let me know if you need one or parts of one.

Last edited by 78F350; 09-12-2015 at 07:03 PM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:20 AM   #3
rsf

Garage
Everything looks like it's working as you describe...I think the problem is something isn't locking. The level moved up and down freely and the piston moves in and out with no issues that I an see. When I do side the steering wheel in and out, I can hear (what appears to sound like) cogs or something when it should be locking.

The little block/wedge piece is behind the piston is loose and I'm not sure it should be. I'd hate to have to pull the whole thing out and was hoping it was a little screw loose or something.

On the steering columns you have out...what does the other side look like?...and is the block/wedge loose?

Thanks for your help!
rsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 11:01 AM   #4
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsf View Post
...When I do side the steering wheel in and out, I can hear (what appears to sound like) cogs or something when it should be locking.
I think that noise is coming from behind that block/wedge. Probably gearing on the internal shaft that is locked in place when the block is pushed in.

Quote:
The little block/wedge piece is behind the piston is loose and I'm not sure it should be. I'd hate to have to pull the whole thing out and was hoping it was a little screw loose or something.
When my steering telescope is locked, that block/wedge is locked down tight. It is only free when the steering telescope is free to move.

Quote:
On the steering columns you have out...what does the other side look like?...and is the block/wedge loose?
My steering column looks exactly like what you have in all the pictures. The back side of that piston has a 'C'-clip that probably has a heavy spring load. To pull it apart any further, that piston and block will have to come out and my chances of getting it all back together are probably not good.
I expect that the problem is inside the column. I Looked it up in my shop manuals, and there is no repair or dis-assembly of that column, just a procedure to remove and replace.

It may be a bit of debris blocking it, or the mechanism may be broken.

I can send you a steering column, but your best bet might be to make an appointment with Woody. It looks like he's only about a 1.5 to 2 hour drive.

78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote