Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2013, 06:21 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to ultimate1 Send a message via Yahoo to ultimate1
Non FIA seats for regular street use?

I have read a number of threads about replacement seats and read a lot on here about FIA seats as a must for racing/tracking boxsters. I am curious if the stock Porsche seats are FIA tested or have some kind of crash certification? My guess is just the standard factory crash tests but I would appreciate it if any members can answer my question. Reason being is that I am looking for seats and just wondering if FIA really matters if I am not racing and just doing the standard highway top down drives occasionally above the speed limit.

ultimate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:55 PM   #2
Track rat

Garage
I doesn't matter at all as long as you never get in a crash.

A very valid question that many have asked. Ultimately each of us must decide for ourselves if crash testing and safety certifications have importance or are really worth the extra cost. It is after all, your butt in the bucket.

My thoughts after considering this for a long time:

FIA seat: Actually crash tested design and certified to the highest safety standards for motorsports. Approx. $750+

Stock Porsche seat: Actually crash tested and meets both DOT and EU safety standards.

Non-tested seat: A replica of stock or motorsport design with no crash testing or certification in order to keep costs down. (testing and certification is expensive)

Many disagree but I sleep better knowing my most important safety devices (seat and belts) have been rigorously tested and certified. I have been T-boned and sent into a triple rollover at a controlled intersection where the seat and belts performed as designed and saved my bacon. I do like to save money and my car is pretty frugal in many ways, just not the seats or belts. They are fully tested and certified designs.

We are statistically at far greater risk of collision on public roads than on a race track where everyone is moving in the same direction. Choose wisely for you and yours.

Last edited by Topless; 11-06-2013 at 08:41 AM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:30 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to ultimate1 Send a message via Yahoo to ultimate1
Thanks Topless!
I kind of figured that to be the case. Best to spend a little bit more.
ultimate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:03 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate1 View Post
Thanks Topless!
I kind of figured that to be the case. Best to spend a little bit more.
Same goes for brackets & slider rails to properly mount seats & belts in the car!