986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Coolant Change Questions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/49306-coolant-change-questions.html)

kjc2050 11-04-2013 03:49 PM

Coolant Change Questions

Decided to change the coolant in my 13 year old, 27K mile 2000S, leading to a few questions:
  • The old coolant appears greenish/brownish in color. It's never been changed. The new Porsche coolant purchased from Pelican is pink. Any reason for concern?
  • The old, OE spring hose clamps seem to be in great shape... should I still replace them?
  • How much coolant should I expect to get out of the system? ~4 gallons? More? Less?
  • Any concerns about mixing the old and new coolant, if I don't get all of the old stuff out?
  • Any other tips or tricks you want to pass along?

Thanks for your help!

Paul 11-04-2013 06:22 PM

Wait until the water pump goes or if you don't know it's age, replace when you do this.

kjc2050 11-04-2013 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 370673)
Wait until the water pump goes or if you don't know it's age, replace when you do this.

It's the original, and I am going to replace it and the thermostat during this service. Thanks.

Paul 11-04-2013 06:49 PM

I'll probably get flamed for this, but I would wait for an issue in the cooling system, such as a failing water pump, a bad hose, a cracked coolant tank or radiator.

clickman 11-04-2013 06:50 PM

Do a forum search. Tons on this.

I changed to pink from green, but wanted to avoid the possibility of gelling due to incompatibility, so I flushed (and flushed and flushed). Royal PITA without a hoist.

I invested in the Uview vacuum tool for filling, and happy that I did.

kjc2050 11-04-2013 06:58 PM

Norm,

Thanks. I have the AirLift tool. Can't imagine doing this without it.

nieuwhzn 11-04-2013 08:40 PM

So you bought this car new in 2000 and it still has the original coolant?
Just asking because I face the same problem, i.e. brownish green coolant in the car but no idea if this is the original coolant. 3 gallons of Porsche's pink coolant is already waiting in the garage, the total coolant is about 6 gallons I think (50/50 mix). Would be nice to know if I have to flush the hell out of the system with deionized water first or that the old stuff can be mixed with the new?

Btw, I don't think there is the need for a vacuum tool to fill the system. There is a bleeder valve which can be used to 'burp' the system.

Perfectlap 11-04-2013 08:53 PM

You must update the coolant cap. Once that seal is broken it may not hold pressure the same. So you may end up with air in the system which can split open the brittle plastic tank.
So I would do it all at once: tank, cap, pump, t-stat and fresh pink lemonade. Replace the cap in two years when you flush the brake fluid.

kjc2050 11-05-2013 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nieuwhzn (Post 370692)
So you bought this car new in 2000 and it still has the original coolant?
Just asking because I face the same problem, i.e. brownish green coolant in the car but no idea if this is the original coolant. 3 gallons of Porsche's pink coolant is already waiting in the garage, the total coolant is about 6 gallons I think (50/50 mix). Would be nice to know if I have to flush the hell out of the system with deionized water first or that the old stuff can be mixed with the new?

Btw, I don't think there is the need for a vacuum tool to fill the system. There is a bleeder valve which can be used to 'burp' the system.

No. I bought the car last year, but have the full service records. It's never been changed.

kjc2050 11-05-2013 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap (Post 370695)
You must update the coolant cap. Once that seal is broken it may not hold pressure the same. So you may end up with air in the system which can split open the brittle plastic tank.
So I would do it all at once: tank, cap, pump, t-stat and fresh pink lemonade. Replace the cap in two years when you flush the brake fluid.

Changed the cap about 200 miles ago; thanks.

kk2002s 11-05-2013 04:41 AM

Basically in the same boat. I don't know what type of coolant is in there. I'm going to change to Pink in the Spring. Also do the WP & Thermostat, maybe tank(It makes sense even though I have no issued now). I just put the new cap on a month ago. I'll do the 'O' rings in the bleeder too.
Only waiting because I want warm weather and I need to gather Air Lift tool and Air compressor.
My plan is to flush 2 times with just water, flush last time with distilled water.
do the mechanics and then fill with 50/50 pink

Seems like a good time to also do the AOS - Fresh start.

Mark_T 11-05-2013 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nieuwhzn (Post 370692)

You probably wouldn't say that if you had done the job with the vacuum tool. It takes a whole level of hassle out of the job and even the pro's on this board strongly recommend using it.

Is it necessary - no. Does it make the job way easier - yes. Is the tool worth every penny and them some - absolutely. The only catch is that you do need a decent compressor to use it, but anyone serious about working on their own car generally has one.