Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2013, 08:37 AM   #21
I am my own mechanic....

Tell them new factory Lits would offset any potential devaluation.......we can just settle on this now without the attorneys involved.....

Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:02 AM   #22

So after my car sat all day at the "AAA approved" shop closest to me, I didn't get a call from them. So I just drove over there to have them tell me "we can bang out that fender and Repaint it but otherwise we are not equipped here to repair Porsches". I spoke to my regular mechanic who I trust 100% and he recommended a shop that he has sent several Porsches to. This shop however is not listed on AAA approved list and they would not guarantee any work by them. I really want this shop to do the work mainly because they work in conjunction with my mechanic who would make sure the alignment is ok and check for any sub damage-sorry for all the questions but this is actually my first body shop experience(knock wood). I just want the car back to its original good condition with as little bondo as possible. I also called AAA about diminished value but no response.
oc-boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:07 AM   #23
I am my own mechanic....

Ask your ins company about banging out the dent vs new fender. They would know the laws in your state. I would not want bondo, period. It didn't have any before.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:20 AM   #24

Make them change the IMS too....
Old 11-06-2013, 08:40 AM   #25

Am I being unreasonable?
Old 11-06-2013, 08:47 AM   #26

Garage
There are specific Porsche approved repair shops that have the right equipment and training to repair Porsches; I would research the list and use one of them. Your local dealer should be able to get you the names of the closest ones. Don't let the insurance company push you around - using used parts, their shop, etc. You will have to live with the results, they won't!

**************** happens! Get the car repaired to the best of your ability and get on enjoying it!
Last930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:38 AM   #27

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oc-boxster View Post
Am I being unreasonable?
No!

They are going to try and get it done as cheaply as possible. That is their job. It sucks, but you are going to have to push back.

Had it happen in a previous car, and I kept pushing and pushing. The car came back with an "orange peel" looking paint job, I made them re-do it. They might not like it, but they will do it.

You might even try to butter them up by asking if they have a recommended Porsche shop.

Ka is a wheel, and everything is 19
Coffinhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:45 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffinhunter View Post
They are going to try and get it done as cheaply as possible. That is their job. It sucks, but you are going to have to push back.

Had it happen in a previous car, and I kept pushing and pushing.
For the diminished value claim I had (on a 96 Chevy Lumina) I went to the dealership where I bought the car and had them type me a letter on their letterhead that said that if they were to take the car back in on trade it would be worth $2500 less than it would be without the damage (t-boned on the driver's side, about 7k-10k worth of damage if I can remember). Then I had to keep after the other insurance. They finally sent an adjuster and I got a check for $2500 in addition to the car made whole. This was in NC; other states have different laws. The repair (by the shop they chose) also took longer and I had to fight to get the rental car paid for the extra time. it is a hassle but you have to be persistent.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:40 AM   #29

Garage
You definitely want the car repaired back to exactly like it was. Anybody else would want the same thing. You did nothing wrong, and should not be punished for some else's mistake. It's worth the fight, and is not unreasonable at all.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #30

To overcome any hesitancy you may have in locking horns with the insurance company think of it this way:

You are out on the hunt for a Porsche (pick your model), you're considering two potentials with similar miles / condition but one has a Carfax record, maybe even shows signs of waviness from aging or shoddy filler prep, Which one are YOU going to buy?

Remember that when the insurance company tries to whittle you down on properly repairing it. I'd even go to a Porsche dealership (if you have a friendly one near you) and ask for a letter like Steve suggested above. Never assume they are interested in your satisfaction nor the state of your car after the repair, THAT responsibility falls squarely on YOUR shoulders at this point. Good Luck......
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:39 PM   #31
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Do not hesitate to insist that the car be repaired to it's previous condition. The insurance will have to pay who ever you choose to take it too, they cannot tell you where to take it.

When you do get it repaired, make sure to test drive the car and give it a thorough once over before signing any paperwork. You can refuse to take the car back, if it has not been repaired to your standards, which is much easier than trying to convince the insurance to let you take it to another shop for additional repairs. I had to do this when the shop refused to repair my custom painted bumperettes after a fender bender.

Sorry to hear about your Box, I hope it turns out well. I would suspect several thousand in damage. That rear panel is not cheap, and it sounds like you may also have some hub/rim and possible suspension damage.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:09 PM   #32
Beginner

Garage
These posts contain excellent advice. What you have done is entered into is a business deal with your insurance company. Expect that they are your adversary and trying to get out of this as cheaply as they can without regard to you. Zero cost would be great for them, leaving you to deal with the damage. They'd take that in a heartbeat and would pursue that if at all possible. They will certainly pursue minimal cost to them without regard to you and push that agenda. As a negotiation tactic there is no reason for you not to be unreasonable. They are intentionally unreasonable by citing "policy". Ask them if they can fix it "right", and make a big deal about it. That way when it comes back with sand scratches and inadequate (to your standards) body work, you can reject it and refer to the "you said you could fix it right" conversation. That strategy has worked, and I have never had an insurance claim I did not have to push back on. It's all about the money. I know I'm sounding negative, but I've had to deal with this and from my experience the best defense is a good offence. Don't make the mistake of being nice to the insurance company representatives, they do not have your best interests in mind. It's not personal, it's just business. Good luck and treat this like it should be treated, nothing more than a game between you and the insurance company. You might get lucky and get a positive resolution without conflict which would be outside my experience.
Jamesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:46 PM   #33

I have found a shop that does a lot of Porsches and am comfortable with how they explained the repair process and mechanical inspection regarding making sure the alignment is right, etc..I left a message with the AAA agent making it very clear that this is where I want the car to go-she never called me back today so it's still
Sitting at the first shop.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:51 PM   #34
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc-boxster View Post
I have found a shop that does a lot of Porsches and am comfortable with how they explained the repair process and mechanical inspection regarding making sure the alignment is right, etc..I left a message with the AAA agent making it very clear that this is where I want the car to go-she never called me back today so it's still
Sitting at the first shop.
Just take it where you want it fixed and give them the keys. It's your decision where to have this work done, period. Regardless of their approval or preference or guarantee.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:09 AM   #35
jakesbox

Anytime I had to deal with insurance because someone else screwed up I always said...ok thanks for the info. I am going to get with my attorney and have them look this over. They immediately freak out and will give you what you are looking for. They will screw you any way they can...might as well have fun with it.
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:50 AM   #36

Garage
I will post my recent experience on this matter:

I was rear ended at a slow speed while I was stopped at a traffic light which pushed me into the trailer hitch of the truck in front causing a small indent on front bumper and a 1/8" chip to the trim portion of headlight (replaceable triangle).

Called the other guys insurance and filed a claim, they had an adjuster come out and I pointed out any and all damage I could find, he provided an estimate on repair costs and provided a list of their approved shops.

They have their approved shops but you do not have to have work performed there but it does make any supplemental charge requests slower.

I took my car to the approved shop to have them take rear bumper and front bumper off to investigate if any further damage was done, which there was none expected or found.

But now for the good part ..........

The estimate was to replace bumper, the estimate was for a base bumper but I had the Aero Kit 1 bumper on so the approved body shop submitted a supplemental to insurance for added cost to replace which they approved.

For the Litronic headlight they also marked it as a replacement for entire headlight for $2600.00

I then told them I would just handle repair on my own with my body shop and for them to send me a check which they gladly did and also provided me with rental while car was in shop.

My costs to have indent fixed and entire front bumper resprayed (it needed it anyways) and to replace the headlight triangle: $923.00

The amount the insurance cut a check for was $5100.00 :dance:

As far as the "diminished value" if your car is over 5 years old and not a classic or high end car it does not fly here in Texas, California may be different.... but they may throw in some pocket change just to make you happy if you do complain.
boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:50 PM   #37

They ended up painting a lot more of the car than I thought
Old 11-22-2013, 06:42 PM   #38

Garage
Now's your chance to make it Speed Yellow !
Old 11-23-2013, 02:49 AM   #39

Speed yellow is nice. Maybe
Old 11-23-2013, 11:20 AM   #40
still plays with cars...

Garage
You may just have had rear-quarter damage, but the other panels are being resprayed to blend and fade the repair into the existing paintwork. That way there isn't an obvious colour difference from the repaired panel to the rest of the car. Especially important for metallic paints!
oc, it looks like the shop is doing a good job for you.

Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote