Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2013, 07:56 AM   #1

Why I'm sticking with my 2002 Boxster S

I am driving my second speed yellow 2002 Boxster S. The first lacked PSM and one wet day a little lack of contol in a spin scared, me so I looked around and found another almost exactly like it, but with PSM.Driving my "new" Boxster S has continued to convince me that there is no driving experience to improve upon with a 911 or a later model one for the money. So, I went back and read the very first reviews and road tests of the 986. These below are hints why the 986 S is the best buy for the money. I am now less likely to tread through Craigslist and Autotrader etc. for a 911. For now I'll hang on to the extra change and buy presents for the Boxster S. But there really aren't many accessories or toys to get for it. It is a sheer pleasure out of the box (so to speak).

Boxster s first road test and reviews below:

https://www.google.com/search?q=2000+boxster+s+road+test&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&client=firefox-a

Porsche Boxster S - Road Test - Car Reviews - Car and Driver

2000 Porsche Boxster S - First Drive & Road Test Review - Motor Trend

Porsche Boxster S Review (2000) - YouTube

2000 Porsche Boxster S Review Update - European Car Magazine

2000 Porsche Boxster SProgram #1913 |****MotorWeek

Stephan Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:34 AM   #2

Couldn't agree more! ... the MK1 S is truly the best combination of balance, handling , power and fun that I have ever driven.

The top down element just adds to the overall enjoyable experience every time I take her out!

Thanks for the links.

Cheers.
FLAT64EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:18 AM   #3

I talked to a guy who owned a lotus 7 replica before I bought it a while back. He was a financially very comfortable guy who had owned over 200 cars in his life including 911's and Ferrari's. I asked him what he would drive if he could drive just one car. He said "a boxter s". More proof to the pudding is a car wholesaler friend who has had dozens of cars and also has had 911's and Ferraris and he drives guess what?

Last edited by Stephan Silverman; 11-02-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old 11-02-2013, 01:30 PM   #4

well I'm still looking over the fence...( at present, a '09 911)...
Old 11-02-2013, 02:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
well I'm still looking over the fence...( at present, a '09 911)...
Come over to the dark side, it's worth it ....
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:37 PM   #6

If I were ever to purchase another Box it would be indeed be a 2002 S pretty much exactly like the one I sold 2 years ago. This is for a variety of reasons:

-I'm Cheap and so are they relative to newer offerings
-IMO it embodies what and why the Boxster line was created for: Fun and incredible driving dynamics
-IMO it is the best looking of the Boxster Series produced to date, that is subjective
-It is without a doubt a better handling car than the 911, that doesn't make it better though, depends on what you are looking for

I have about 6 more cars on my bucket list, I feel very fortunate to have enjoyed the '02 986 S that I had, GREAT car.........

P.S. My 993 will not vacate my garage, that cannot be said of the 5 prior pleasure vehicles I have owned.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:10 PM   #7
Damn Yankee

Garage
Hey coreseller,

I'm lovin' your constant avatar changes. They fargin' crack me up!

TO

p.s. I agree wholeheartedly with your last post.
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:17 PM   #8

What a Mouth on that Guy!!!!!!

coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:19 PM   #9

I have a 2000S with a Tip and I love driving it. It's an animal...or am I the animal.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreseller View Post
If I were ever to purchase another Box it would be indeed be a 2002 S pretty much exactly like the one I sold 2 years ago. This is for a variety of reasons:

-I'm Cheap and so are they relative to newer offerings
-IMO it embodies what and why the Boxster line was created for: Fun and incredible driving dynamics
-IMO it is the best looking of the Boxster Series produced to date, that is subjective
-It is without a doubt a better handling car than the 911, that doesn't make it better though, depends on what you are looking for

I have about 6 more cars on my bucket list, I feel very fortunate to have enjoyed the '02 986 S that I had, GREAT car.........

P.S. My 993 will not vacate my garage, that cannot be said of the 5 prior pleasure vehicles I have owned.

Yep - the 993 is a keeper.

/
Old 11-04-2013, 05:32 AM   #11

Garage
I have nothing to compare (914 35 years ago) my 02 S to in terms of true sports cars. I'm only a little over a year into mine (64k miles - daily 10k/ year). I can say that the more I drive it, the harder I drive the better it runs.
Drive it in stop and go for 10-15 miles and the next day it hates me. So I have to go find some roads to get into the mid 6k RPMs and we are happy again.
This car is a double edge sword
I can't wait to drive it, can't get enough while driving it - get depressed when my drive is over and I have to turn the ignition off

It's a common phrase "you can never have enough HP" but what this little 3.2 delivers when it delivers it works on every level I could expect. I'm convinced that I have not really pushing the potential of this motor. I've experienced short glimpses but then I get pre-occupied looking around for flashing lights, and the moment is lost.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:40 AM   #12

I hear you Stephan... I feel the same way. Some people think it's odd, but I'm a Boxster fanatic. I have a whole collection of magazines that review the original 986. These are just scratching the surface. I'll post some more of them.
fusionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:59 AM   #13

If not for the Boxster my Porsche experience would probably have been limited to a two year stint in a 996 or 997 before moving onto a Corvette or Lotus. So part of me understands Porsche's effort to hold back the Boxster. You have to make the new thing really compelling to get someone away from the last thing you sold them.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:09 AM   #14

Garage
April 2000 I started a new job as the lead test driver for the SoCA region press fleet of Porsche along with 75% of the other new cars for sale in the U.S. Over the next 3 model years I spent 45hrs a week driving just about everything. (except Ferrari & Lambos) The Boxster S was easily the funnest vehicle I have ever driven, followed, in no particular order by the GT2, 996 Turbo & Z06 Corvette. When management changes lead me to quit this job I started my search for a 2000 Boxster S in speed yellow with a minimum of options & no traction control. I have had this car for more years & put more miles on it than any previous vehicle I have owned. A couple years ago I addressed it's only shortcoming, not enough power, by sleeving the engine to 3.6L. Over the last 3 years I have spent roughly the market value of my car on performance enhancements to make it drive better than new.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:20 PM   #15

986 Shortcoming

The only thing in the Boxster that disappoints is the cheap interior, especially the thin leather seats and the plastic interior parts that scratch when you look at them the wrong way. Funny... I spilled a little coffee on the passenger seats of both of my two Boxsters and the seats parched up immediately with big stains. Irritating.

As a driving experience, though, I just don't know what more money thrown at cars would get me. My brother has a twin turbo 996 and it is so on rails that there is little fun except the rocket rush from the back of your neck snapping when you put the pedal down. It handles so well that it feels glued to the road....It doesn't have the lightness of the Boxster. Except for the track I don't know where you'd get the full thrill of the twin turbo to experience immense speeds through straightaways and corners with no wiggle at all. The Boxster seems like more fun as a daily driver.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:42 PM   #16

And an awful lot cheaper than a Turbo to run too......