Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2013, 05:18 PM   #1
Beginner

Garage
How to Repair Broken Visors?

Anyone have to solution to repair the doors over the mirrors in the visors? The plasic hinges have broken on both of mine and it looks like a common occurance.

Jamesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:42 PM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
If the flap is loose, and it does not stay up on it's own there is a simple albeit slightly annoying solution. If the flap has broken off, then you will need to replace it, the non lighted mirror part of the visor is about $20.

You can do this with the visor in the car, but it is easier to remove the two bolts on the side of the visor and remove it from the car. Use a butter knife or similar and pry the plastic mirror section off the visor. This part can be very annoying because it requires a lot of force to get the clips to come loose. But it can be done without breaking it.

Once you remove the mirror, there is a small metal clip on the inside of hinge. When the flap is no longer functioning, it is normally because that metal clip popped out. Push it back into place, and superglue it in place so that it does not come undone again.

This was one of the first things I did to my car when I bought it 6 years ago. Only recently has my driver's mirror begun to get loose. So this solution does last a while. I am fairly certain the heat tends to breakdown the glue holding the clip in place, allowing it to pop out over time.

Best
-Rick
Old 11-01-2013, 05:57 PM   #3
Beginner

Garage
Thanks for the reply. the plastic doors have broken off at the hinge pins as the plastic has become brittle. Do you know where I can source the plastic doors?
Jamesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:59 PM   #4
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
You can order them at the dealer if you want them quickly, but you can also go on Suncoast Porsche, eBay, Pelican Parts, or call Sunset Porsche in Oregon. Sunset normally has the best prices.

You can use the same steps above to remove the mirror section, however if yours are illumined it may be slightly different. I would not know, as mine do not have illumination.

Best!