986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   CV Joint Replacement Advice (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/49227-cv-joint-replacement-advice.html)

Daniel R 10-29-2013 08:00 PM

CV Joint Replacement Advice

I need some advice on replacing CV joints or half axles. I have been trying to diagnose a clunking sound and this seems to be the next most likely culprit.

Do I;

a) Just replace the inner CV joints with original parts and hope this fixes it ~ $400

b) Replace the half axles with either FEQ or OP Parts brand (non OEM) ~ $250

c) Replace with OEM axles (really undesirable as cost will run to more than 2k with shipping and import duties) ~ $2,100

d) Use rebuilt OEM (remember that this is better for you guys in the US as postage and import duties are not a concern and having to return the old parts to receive the core charge refund is an expensive exercise) ~ ?? Maybe $1,200

The prices are approximate costs to me for parts DDP (Delivered Duty Paid). Labour runs at ~ $130 an hour at my indy and I would think 4 hours would cover it.

I do not drive the car all that hard, spirited maybe, but it never gets launched by dropping the clutch at 5k rpm and it isn't fitted with super wide R comp tyres. I run standard summer 265/35's all year, they are not that sticky and I never break grip in the dry.

I am leaning towards option B, purely as the price is low and I don't stress the axles enough to be over-engineered in that department.

If someone can give me some feedback on either FEQ or OP Parts axles from personal experience it would be much appreciated. If there are fitment issues particularly, I am keen to know.

Thanks in advance. Car is 2000 Boxster S btw.

dghii 10-30-2013 07:38 AM

Another option may be to remove your axles and see if they can be rebuilt. Your indy should be able to pull the joints apart, at least the inner joints, and assess the condition of the components.

I have replaced torn CV boots and repacked with good success. I had not got to the point of hearing any clunking, just saw that I'd trown grease all over the underside of the car.

BYprodriver 10-30-2013 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dghii (Post 369966)
Another option may be to remove your axles and see if they can be rebuilt. Your indy should be able to pull the joints apart, at least the inner joints, and assess the condition of the components.

I have replaced torn CV boots and repacked with good success. I had not got to the point of hearing any clunking, just saw that I'd trown grease all over the underside of the car.

I agree with this, you have to lose alot of the grease to start wearing the CV joints.
The clunking could be caused by a worn rear suspension arm.

As for option B, I have never heard anything good about aftermarket CV axles. The Porsche axles are far superior to anything I have seen. It may cost you more down time but inspect what you have & just fix what is worn out.