Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2013, 02:30 AM   #1

Unhappy English RHD 1998-bonnet release flat battery

Hi all,
As it says, 1998 boxster 2.5
Battery flat and can't get in bonnet.
There is no red flag in the fuse box and I can't find the said pull wire plus I can't get my wheel off.
Tried a cigar lighter lead -just doesn't work.
Any clues- really concerned, longer I leave battery then closer I get to a replacement!
Plus, I want to drive my Boxster!

Many thanks

Dennis McGlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:29 AM   #2

Garage
With my 2000 S, I've used a Jump 'N Carry battery jumper with a cigarette lighter lead, and it's powered up everything including the frunk release... so I'm confused as to why your cigarette lighter lead didn't work. I'm sure someone else will comment. Good luck!
Old 11-02-2013, 07:15 AM   #3
recycledsixtie

Garage
How come you cannot get the wheel off?
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:54 AM   #4
Vista glass

Garage
Dennis
You may be lucky. If you can not find the cable to release the front trunk where it should be in the wheel well it may have been relocated to the tow plug on the front bumper by a previous owner. Carefully pry the round plug off and see if there is a cable located in there. If so pull on it to release the trunk. It's worth checking to see if a previous owner performed that hack. If not do a search on this site for front trunk or frunk release. There are threads detailing access via the release mechanism by the drivers seat on the door sill. You have to disassemble that to energize the relay that lifting the latch accomplishes when there is voltage from the battery. Also you may be able to remove the lighter access the wires on its plug and energize the electrical circuits that way.The normal frunk release is electrical . The backup system is mechanical.

Last edited by Vista glass; 11-02-2013 at 08:07 AM. Reason: edit
Vista glass is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bonnet release , flat batter , no red flag