Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2013, 07:02 AM   #1

Help, did my teenager break the top or did the car do it?

I know this sounds odd, but about 2 weeks ago, it rained and I noticed the passenger window was down about halfway. I pulled the car into the garage and rolled the window down for everything to dry out. I did not try to put the top down. The passenger window has had a problem for about 6 months now with it going up all the way and then rolling down about halfway on its own. If you hold the button down, it will go up. From reading the forum, I am guessing that this is the regulator. About 4 months ago the plastic ball ends on the top broke and I replaced them and everything was working fine. I went to drive the car this weekend and started to put the top down. I could hear the motor run, but nothing was happening. I immediately thought these plastic ball ends were broken again, but noticed the deck lid was not moving. I lifted the deck lid and found total destruction. The top push rods were bent in a U shape and the pivot levers were bent a 90 degree angle. My first thought was one of my teenagers tried to take car out and broke it. Of course I asked and they said No. I myself would have lied to my father when I was a TA, but we have never really limited my daughters from driving this car. One daughter drove to school for 2 mos while her camry was being repaired and she actually does not like the car. Also the seat was exactly in the same position of when I last drove the car. They would have had to be pretty astute to be able to do this. I assume the damage is from the top being opened without the main latch being released. I am positive that it closed fine and the window was up when I last drove it. The night that it happened there was a lot of lightening. Is there any possible way that the car can just decide to put its top down on its own. Shouldnt the plastic parts have broken before the extensive damage was done to the solid steel? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have ordered replacement parts, but if there is something wrong with the car, I dont want the same thing to happen.

TXNbyGA is offline   Reply With Quote