986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Age old question -- (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/49106-age-old-question.html)

lmg70 10-23-2013 02:45 PM

Age old question --

Ok, this has probably been asked and answered, but would you rather get a newer Boxster with more miles or an older one with less mile.

To wit: I am considering two Boxsters roughly the same price $12K. One is a 1998 with 44,291 miles and the other is a 2002 with 71,000 miles on it. The Carfax are pretty clean for both. I am going to do some more research on the two model years to see if one is better than the other.

But thought I'd through it out here to the group - which would you rather.

Thanks!

recycledsixtie 10-23-2013 04:27 PM

I prefer the newer car with more miles. The newer one has a larger engine - 2.7 vs 2.5. Better yet would be a newer one with less miles. 70k miles is still a relatively low mileage car though.

You are still looking at replacing possibly water pump, AOS, clutch, CV joints refurbish etc in the next few years.

Get a PPI done on the one you like. Do all the reading you can especially in this forum
"buying a Boxster". Enjoy your search!

rick3000 10-23-2013 05:24 PM

I am on the other side, older with lower miles. Mine was 7 years old, with 17k miles when I bought it, I have only had one real age related issue which the dealer fixed because it happened within two weeks of buying the car (crystalized fuel in fuel line from sitting in a garage for several years). For the most part everything else has happened at/near the expected intervals, or was so unusual you couldn't blame it on age or mileage (wood in the brake caliper anyone?).

As the wise Indiana Jones says, "It's not the age, it's the mileage." Plus, I like the was the 986's look, although old these days maybe a 987-1.

lmg70 10-23-2013 05:37 PM

Thanks for the replies!

Perfectlap 10-24-2013 12:15 AM

70K miles is right where about ~$12K in repairs and major maintenance kicked in. Before that I had exactly one unscheduled repair over the previous 69K miles which all together cost less than $400... even at the dealer.

My rule for future Porsches: in by 20K out by 50K. There are a metric ton of Porsches out there. Log onto Autotrader right now and search for 1999-2012 Carrera... a mind-boggling number of Porsche before you pile on with Boxster/Cayman, Cayenne and Panas.

Just wait for a low mileage model that has the engine you want. And don't put too much stock into the purchase price. Look more at the repairs and maintance that have already been done. Then evaluaute if the price is fair. The more of the big items that have been addressed the better, since by and large the seller will not get his money back on those very costly updates.

Steve Tinker 10-24-2013 12:59 AM

^^^^^^
Extremely good advice from Perfectos - I thought I was out of the woods @ 85,000km (53,000 miles) and 10 years, but time cought up on me - alternator, battery, accessory belt bearings, front brake discs and pads, water pump, coolant & MAF all within a year..
This is on top of the routine and "catch up" maintenance that the previous owners have neglected.

j.fro 10-24-2013 05:02 AM

What are your plans for the car? Keep it forever? Gone in 2 years? DIY maintenance ? Will there be any mods/personalization?

recycledsixtie 10-24-2013 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap (Post 369014)
70K miles is right where about ~$12K in repairs and major maintenance kicked in. Before that I had exactly one unscheduled repair over the previous 69K miles which all together cost less than $400... even at the dealer.

My rule for future Porsches: in by 20K out by 50K. There are a metric ton of Porsches out there. Log onto Autotrader right now and search for 1999-2012 Carrera... a mind-boggling number of Porsche before you pile on with Boxster/Cayman, Cayenne and Panas.

Just wait for a low mileage model that has the engine you want. And don't put too much stock into the purchase price. Look more at the repairs and maintance that have already been done. Then evaluaute if the price is fair. The more of the big items that have been addressed the better, since by and large the seller will not get his money back on those very costly updates.

Perfectlap makes a lot of sense in terms of repair expectations. He is also right that there are lots of Carreras out there too. The latter I have tried but even if more hp then they seem too GT like for me. You should try one anyway. Don't limit yourself to trying just 2 Boxsters. Consider the options each have. For instance on my 2001 Box base I have no remote to open the door. I use a key LOL! PSM? Nope. Take your time looking. Don't limit yourself to trying two cars. Enjoy!

Mark_T 10-24-2013 07:31 AM

the chicken

runjmc2 10-24-2013 11:50 AM

My theory is that many part wear by age, as much as mileage....use it or lose it....which points towards the newer one. Though it is only a theory.....

woodsman 10-24-2013 12:09 PM

I'd choose the newer one but previous maintenance seems to be everything with Porsches. The '02 has a fair number of improvements but I think it's often more expensive to repair than a '98. No simple answer here. The best car goes to those who search the best-- BE PICKY!

Perfectlap 10-24-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by recycledsixtie (Post 369026)
Perfectlap makes a lot of sense in terms of repair expectations. He is also right that there are lots of Carreras out there too. The latter I have tried but even if more hp then they seem too GT like for me. You should try one anyway. Don't limit yourself to trying just 2 Boxsters. Consider the options each have. For instance on my 2001 Box base I have no remote to open the door. I use a key LOL! PSM? Nope. Take your time looking. Don't limit yourself to trying two cars. Enjoy!

Honestly I think the average first-time Porsche buyer is better off in a 996 or 997.
Many only consider a Boxster because the 'entry free' is lower than that of a used 996. But then they are rudely awakened by the fact that major maintenance and unexpected repairs are just as expensive for a Boxster/Cayman as it is for a non-Turbo Carrera. Just look underneath a Boxster or Cayman, plenty of expensive 996 and 997 parts all over... and the mechanic doesn't lower his hourly rate because the engine is in the middle.

Which means the whole rationale for buying a Boxster over a Carrera was flawed from the start. The Boxster is for the roadster fan. Any perceived savings will disappear quickly when the clutch/IMS/RMS/FW/CV boots need replacing or the water pump lets go.

Buy the category of sports car you like with the engine you like. The admission fee to the Porsche club going to cost you either way through costly repairs if the mileage is high enough for depreciation to kick in. If you drive the car once a week for an hour only during summer...maybe you can have your cake and eat it too.

jcb986 10-24-2013 05:08 PM

You never know when something will break, so why worry. It's a Porsche and is meant to be driven. My 2000 S with a 3.2 liter has just over 75,000 and runs fine. Buy a Porsche with the bigger motor, it will not be under powered a have a lot less stress on the engine do to more torque and horsepower. Simple lesson I learned. My Gravely tractor with 10.5hp engine was under powered and eventually blew up. I installed a 13.5 on it it and it now runs, mows, and pulls with no problem. The difference is nite and day.:cheers:

lmg70 10-25-2013 02:06 AM

Thanks all for your help. i'll pass and wait for a better match!