Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2003, 08:02 PM   #1
nes
Forum Member

OPINION PLEEEASE ! you can definately help

hello everyone, I will soon be joining all of you in owning a boxster.

there are definately some questions I want to ask before purchasing one.

I plan to buy a 97-99 preowned boxster with around 30-40K miles, the only question I have is how much maintenace is needed on one of these bad boys.

I hear alot of "maintenance is expensive" and such, but how expensive is it really? as far as oil change, dealer inspections, or you tell me exactly what is needed.

you see im only 21 and and making decent annually income. If my calculations are correct I could definately afford a used Boxster and still be comfortable.

but I know there are chances to take when buying a used vehicle, I just dont wanna end up spending all my money on replacing this, replacing that...maintain this, maintain that.

I am definately going to have the vehicle inspected by my mechanic before purchasing it, but you have experience in owning one, give me your experiences and comments.

nes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 05:55 AM   #2

Maintenance is not that bad really. But, you do have to be able to afford it. To give you an idea, I just had a 60K service done on my '99. It came to $620. That is a major servicing interval, so it's really not too bad for what is done.

The 45K service was about $400 as I recall, give or take a few bucks.

I bought mine used with 37,250 miles on it. Have had it for about 17 months and have not had major repairs. Big repairs can cost a lot I am sure, but if you are lucky you won't have problems. If you can buy a newer one with some warranty time left on it, that would be the way to go.

You could do the oil change yourself, not that hard. Doing the brakes is very straightforward as well and would not be a hard job at all to do yourself.

mjbliemel is offline   Reply With Quote