Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2013, 09:36 AM   #1

Garage
Can't decide on oem xenon or not

I know this is a well versed discussion but I cant help it.

I have a source that will sell the Bosch oem xenon headlamps new delivered for only $1465. The problem is that's still a lot of money for something that will not help resale price. I really don't like the amber on my 01 so I have put depot smoked tail lamps on and just ordered smoked side markers. I can get halogen clears for under 1000 but it seems silly not to improve the lighting for the difference.

So, whats your take, leave it, go aftermarket, go for the litronic xenon without the leveling kit or look for clear halogen and save some cash. I don't think tinting the amber part of the lights would work well..

My current headlamps are pretty clear still but they are 12 years old too.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:55 AM   #2

In for a penny, in for a pound. I'd pay a little more for the extra lumens. Leveling or not.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:04 AM   #3

Porsche 986 Boxster 996 MK1 Black LED DRL Projector Headlights | eBay

What about something like those? Personally I think they make the car look ALOT newer.
DieSiebener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:20 AM   #4

I had the OEM self leveling lamps in my Boxster and in the 6 years I had the car they never actually leveled (they always put on a nice show when I started the car but that was it).
Now on my 997 I can see the self-leveling in action.
My point is: I wouldn't spend extra $$$ just to get the self-leveling
However: Xenon (Litronics) is a HUGE plus over halogens
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:34 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieSiebener View Post
Porsche 986 Boxster 996 MK1 Black LED DRL Projector Headlights | eBay

What about something like those? Personally I think they make the car look ALOT newer.
Yeah, those are on my thoughts too but by the time you add xenon your up to about $1230 and I have no idea of the quality...if you go oem you know it's good.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:38 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZang View Post
I had the OEM self leveling lamps in my Boxster and in the 6 years I had the car they never actually leveled (they always put on a nice show when I started the car but that was it).
Now on my 997 I can see the self-leveling in action.
My point is: I wouldn't spend extra $$$ just to get the self-leveling
However: Xenon (Litronics) is a HUGE plus over halogens
So huge enough to pay 1500 bucks or where else could you spend it? Sound, suspension, exhaust, seats etc.??
Old 09-29-2013, 10:43 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Sixter View Post
In for a penny, in for a pound. I'd pay a little more for the extra lumens. Leveling or not.
I guess I need to remember this is my tinker toy, have fun blow some cash and stop analyzing it to death...the trouble is answering to the wife too. This will likely cost me two new doors on the house
Old 09-29-2013, 11:03 AM   #8

I replaced my cloudy, crazed amber halogens with new clear Bosch Halgens, cost somewhere around $900 shipped. I don't often drive at night and, when I do, have found the halogens adequate, so I wasn't interested in the extra cost of litronics.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:14 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
I replaced my cloudy, crazed amber halogens with new clear Bosch Halgens, cost somewhere around $900 shipped. I don't often drive at night and, when I do, have found the halogens adequate, so I wasn't interested in the extra cost of litronics.
Thats good information for thought and consideration, My feeling is since my ambers are in good condition, I can sell the xenons headlamps to recover at least the difference paid...about 500.. if I sold the car by putting the old headlamps back on. Most people are not looking to purchase the halogens (unless I am wrong here)
Old 09-29-2013, 02:28 PM   #10
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Or you could go with something like this...

See pg. 3...
Porsche Headlight Retrofit [from CAD, prototyping to finish)

Amber doesn't look bad this way, or you could get some clear halogens and retrofit them.
I waited for a good deal and bought a set of clears and retrofitted them for less than $600 total. Used headlights, though.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:28 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Or you could go with something like this...

See pg. 3...
Porsche Headlight Retrofit [from CAD, prototyping to finish)

Amber doesn't look bad this way, or you could get some clear halogens and retrofit them.
I waited for a good deal and bought a set of clears and retrofitted them for less than $600 total. Used headlights, though.
Beautiful, but too much time and work to do....I could be out driving. I love this set though. Thanks for the info
Old 09-29-2013, 07:12 PM   #12
I am my own mechanic....

Off, marker, Xenon.

You want these. Mine level fine, but are new.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:37 AM   #13

#1 Timco...you want Litronics
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:26 AM   #14

Garage
I found a great deal on Ebay a few years ago for new Litronics at $1000 and I couldn't believe how much better they are than the OEM halogens. You can sell the halogens to recoup some of your money, or keep them to put back in the car when you sell it. I think the Litronics will always have good resale value on their own.
I was also glad I found a set that was new,,, a lot of the used ones I saw looked worse (cloudy/scratched) than the halogens that were on my car.
MN 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:41 AM   #15

Garage
I am in the same boat as you Karl. I want clear, could live with Halogen but would like to have Xenons. I also love the CAD Retrofit. I will probable do as most have suggested, find a good deal on Xenons and keep the old(mine are in excellent condition, no yellowing). When ever, if ever, I sell the car, sell the Xenons separately. I keep looking for a good used set but I don't want anything yellowed and for what people want for used, it is not much more to get new.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:15 AM   #16

Unfortunately Litronics are one of those mods that you have to bite the bullet and accept the Porsche premium. I would not buy second hand lights or any light that did not come with a guarantee of some sort if you're going to be spending more than $500.

p.s.
I would love to see Nine8Six's mod available for sale. I'd do that mod in an instant.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:52 PM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN 986 View Post
I found a great deal on Ebay a few years ago for new Litronics at $1000 and I couldn't believe how much better they are than the OEM halogens. You can sell the halogens to recoup some of your money, or keep them to put back in the car when you sell it. I think the Litronics will always have good resale value on their own.
I was also glad I found a set that was new,,, a lot of the used ones I saw looked worse (cloudy/scratched) than the halogens that were on my car.
I keep thinking about the used condition to spending big bucks on used is always risky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
I am in the same boat as you Karl. I want clear, could live with Halogen but would like to have Xenons. I also love the CAD Retrofit. I will probable do as most have suggested, find a good deal on Xenons and keep the old(mine are in excellent condition, no yellowing). When ever, if ever, I sell the car, sell the Xenons separately. I keep looking for a good used set but I don't want anything yellowed and for what people want for used, it is not much more to get new.
My thoughts almost exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
Unfortunately Litronics are one of those mods that you have to bite the bullet and accept the Porsche premium. I would not buy second hand lights or any light that did not come with a guarantee of some sort if you're going to be spending more than $500.

p.s.
I would love to see Nine8Six's mod available for sale. I'd do that mod in an instant.
Yeah, I guess I need to just do it...Thanks everybody for all your comments. I'll post some before and after when I get them along with the rest of my de-amber
Old 09-30-2013, 09:55 PM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
Hey btw: our cars are twins!
Old 09-30-2013, 10:48 PM   #19

You can get aftermarket HID kits for $50. Aftermarket LED Projectors are $1000. $1050 for everything.
Crono0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:53 AM   #20

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Nettgen View Post
Hey btw: our cars are twins!
You have excellent taste

iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote