Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2013, 08:33 AM   #1

Garage
Problem changing front trunk/hood latch

Microswitch in front trunk mechanism ceased to work reliably, so got a complete new assembly to switch out. Thought I could do it without removing bumper cover, but I have a wire cable ( not the emergency release cable, but routes over toward the passenger headlight alongside of it) that is attached to the secondary latch (the one with the red plastic handle) that I cannot see where it attaches on the other end in order to undo it. Not sure just what it is for or where it goes. It appears to be a second emergency release for the secondary latch with the red plastic handle, but I have removed the headlight and cannot find the other end. Can't even find a parts breakdown that even shows the cable. Anyone know what it attaches to on the other end and if the bumper cover needs to come off to access it?
This is on an 04 boxster S le

Last edited by mountainman; 10-22-2013 at 09:06 AM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:13 AM   #2

The steel cable has a loop at the end of it, kinda hanging behind the wheel-well cover. If you pull it, the loop will snag onto the body parts. Essentially, you have to take off the bumper cover.

When you work on Porsche, be very patience. If you work on a Ford or Toyota doing similar thing, it will required you a few steps for access but for Porsche, you gotta go extra mile to get to whatever is broken. You just have to accept it! Take off the headlights and bumper cover!

Trey T is offline   Reply With Quote