Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2013, 10:30 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
Ah, but I'm not saying that the Boxster IS a pen*s extender, or that it IS an expensive exotic car. We all know that they are cheap as dirt and we own them for their exceptional handling performance, not as status symbols. I only mean to call attention to people's perceptions of other's possessions, right or wrong, and how our cars are often perceived by the great unwashed, the mindless masses, the godless hordes, the uninitiated. The perception rarely converges with the reality.

Yes, it's a 14 year old, $12K car. By all rights my wife's Corolla should garner more praise and attention. But I constantly get comments like "Wish I had your job(or money)", implying that the car is perceived by those not "in the know" as an expensive luxury item.
Agreed. It takes too much time to determine truth. And perception's instant! And I feel secure KNOWING, instead of questioning. 'And I'm too tired to verify!' Whaaaa!

Old 10-23-2013, 10:41 AM   #42
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Funny I sold my beautiful 2000 986 'S' and when the guy brought it to his brother inlaws house everyone was guessing he paid $40k for it!! This made him feel very happy!!
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:50 AM   #43

Like I said, I am not concerned about what the voices in other peoples heads are saying about me or my car. I am equally sure the the guys in H1's are totally unconcerned about the voice in my head.

I also said I was a pretty judgemental guy. One of my many failings. I can live with it though. Gives me tons of amusement at times.

The only guy I know personally with an H1 is a pretty good guy. I still find H1's a source of amusement though.
dmairspotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:48 AM   #44

Each to their own. It's no worse than guys buying Ford Raptors to drive around in the city.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:06 PM   #45

Ford has RAPTORS now??? as in modern street RAPTORS???

scary stuff man.........
Old 10-23-2013, 01:19 PM   #46

Quote:

Yes, it's a 14 year old, $12K car.
Only if it's going to be a lawn ornament. Costs of repairs and upkeep do not scale down with depreciation. Probably the opposite.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:33 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho View Post
I wish I had a hand grenade
I find myself agreeing with the OP on this, partially because I've had the same thought myself at times. I agree, of course, with those who point out that we are free to drive what we want, and likewise that there are those Porsche folks that fall into the in-yer-face crowd this Hummer owner probably belongs to. That said, as some have pointed out, among the group of 986/987 people here there is typically not a lot of conspicuous consumption going on in their automobile of choice. Indeed, many here are driving cars that, if sold, wouldn’t cover the cost of a gently used Toyota Corolla.

The thing that gets to me here is that, if this Hummer driver is of the same stripe as many of them, his attitude---as arrogantly declared by his license plate---is not necessarily of a playful, static or even harmless nature. It’s an active, potentially aggressive one, an attitude he carries with him every time he gets behind the wheel. He is the guy who can’t be bothered to use his turn signal, the guy who tailgates relentlessly despite plentiful opportunities to pass, the guy who doesn’t hesitate to take up two (three?) parking spaces, the guy who ties up the passing lane as if it were his and his alone. An attitude and---it would seem---a perceived sense of entitlement that quite arguably exists because they have this mindset that says “I do this because I can, BECAUSE I AM BIGGER THAN YOU.”

I’ll humbly apologize to those Hummer owners that fall outside of the stereotype I have described. I’m sure they exist. But you know what? I don’t really think there are all that many of them.

So, to (Ahem) Mr Rensho…if you’re potentially a sociopath, I guess maybe I am too?
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:04 PM   #48

Some of you guys are in serious need of some Metamucil..............besides, you really ought to save your bile for BMW drivers.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:09 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreseller View Post
Some of you guys are in serious need of some Metamucil.
To dust off an old expression...Takes one to know one!
Old 10-23-2013, 05:09 PM   #50

I'm confused why you're referencing me haha.

Also, Honda Accords serve a purpose. They're people movers for the not so economically well-off. And they're great cars. Economical, and reliable.

Hummers serve only to show people how much of a douchebag you are.
16 Mercedes C450 AMG
22 Tesla Model X Plaid
Crono0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:11 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
To dust off an old expression...Takes one to know one!
I buy prunes by the pound.......
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:08 AM   #52

Just to clarify, my problem is not with Hummers per se, it was with the obnoxious vanity plate. If it had been a Porsche with an obnoxious vanity plate, I would have thought the same.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:17 AM   #53

So I'm guessing BOX THS wouldn't be your first choice in a vanity plate then?
Old 10-24-2013, 07:44 AM   #54

Garage
[QUOTE=stephen wilson;368797]Yes they're wide, and heavy, though no more than a modern diesel 2500. I guess I like the technical aspects of portal axles, great ground clearance with a pretty low ride height. Great deep water capability with the fording kit. I forget if the Civ. version has CTIS of not.

Both of the H1's I drove did have CTIS. Yes they are a chore to drive. The interior is not comfortable anywhere. The center console takes up most of the space in the interior. The interior looks like that of a kit car designed in the '70's. Same for window operation.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:48 AM   #55
jakesbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono0001 View Post
I'm confused why you're referencing me haha.

Also, Honda Accords serve a purpose. They're people movers for the not so economically well-off. And they're great cars. Economical, and reliable.

Hummers serve only to show people how much of a douchebag you are.
Im the one who said honda accord and yes, my daily driver is an 07 accord with 80,000 miles on it. leather, bigger motor than my boxster...have raced my wife and she beat me...but i love my porsche. i work hard for my toys...but my Accord is a great, great car! Prior to that I had a Camry...
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:54 PM   #56

Quote:
Just to clarify, my problem is not with Hummers per se, it was with the obnoxious vanity plate. If it had been a Porsche with an obnoxious vanity plate, I would have thought the same.
Think of it this way: He obviously did it to stir people's emotions and he succeeded in spades!
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:38 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam View Post
Think of it this way: He obviously did it to stir people's emotions and he succeeded in spades!
Yup, you're right...spitting in someone's face or taking a dump on their shoe works well too!
Old 10-24-2013, 05:30 PM   #58

Quote:
So I'm guessing BOX THS wouldn't be your first choice in a vanity plate then?
No. C.o.jones is my choice for vanity plate, but it won't pass the censors in Florida where the censors know Spanish.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:14 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
Yup, you're right...spitting in someone's face or taking a dump on their shoe works well too!
Not sure how you can relate obnoxious vanity plate with either of the above.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:39 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam View Post
Not sure how you can relate obnoxious vanity plate with either of the above.
As you unwittingly suggest in your inquiry, examples, one and all, of how to be obnoxious towards those around you, those suggested in my comment obviously being elevated in degree a notch or two. For dramatic effect.

At least one poster understood the analogy…

Quote:
The owner is taking is taking a collosal crap on everyone in back of him/her/it.