986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   durametric cable and vin (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/49060-durametric-cable-vin.html)

tommy782 10-21-2013 06:24 AM

durametric cable and vin

Hi,

I see a durametric cable with cd for sale in my town and I want to know what is the method to see how many serial number he have left on it?

thanks!

Gary_d 10-21-2013 07:07 AM

Plug the cable into the laptop (no need to connect to the car), then start the Durametric program. Choose TOOLS, then TOOL INFO. You will find a listing of all VIN numbers associated with the cable.

tommy782 10-21-2013 08:28 AM

perfect thanks gary!

Mark_T 10-21-2013 10:33 AM

Yes, thanks Gary. I was wondering about this too.

tommy782 01-02-2014 08:50 AM

I jump the post but I want to know if the durametric cable for a boxster std 2000-2004 fit on a boxster s 2000-2004 or a boxster std 2005-2008? I see on the durametric

website that exist a cable for the 986 and 987 but I want to know if the 2000-2004 can read some of the 987 code.

I just want to be sure because I don't no now if I will buy a 986 or 987 and I see another deal on cable.

also what is the method to see if its a REAL durametric cable and program? someone can send me the exact picture of the CD and cable?

I don't no if it's a fake CD or the real one.

thanks everyone!

edit: the guys tell me that it's not the real version..... what is possible to do with a fake version? this is not what I want but it's inexpensive at this moment..

I don't no if it's a deal or I wait for the real deal.

JFP in PA 01-02-2014 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommy782 (Post 379226)
I jump the post but I want to know if the durametric cable for a boxster std 2000-2004 fit on a boxster s 2000-2004 or a boxster std 2005-2008? I see on the durametric

website that exist a cable for the 986 and 987 but I want to know if the 2000-2004 can read some of the 987 code.

I just want to be sure because I don't no now if I will buy a 986 or 987 and I see another deal on cable.

also what is the method to see if its a REAL durametric cable and program? someone can send me the exact picture of the CD and cable?

I don't no if it's a fake CD or the real one.

thanks everyone!

The Durametric system will work on any Boxster, 986 or 987.

If you want to be sure of getting the real thing, buy it directly from Durametric. And the cable no longer comes with a CD, you download the software from Durametric's site.

Mark_T 01-02-2014 08:58 AM

Just a suggestion for you - fire off an email to Durametric. Tell them you are looking for a used cable and don't want to get stuck with a fake. I'm sure they will help you out on how to identify the real McCoy.

The first cable I bought was a fake. Didn't know until I had an issue with it and contacted Durametric for help. They were very good about explaining that I had a clone cable, how to tell, and apologized for not being able to help me. I'd forward you the email they sent, but I don't seem to have it anymore.

I replaced it with a real one as soon as I was able to find a good deal on one.

BirdDog 01-02-2014 09:04 AM

Tommy782

The Durametric cable doesn't come with a CD anymore (not sure that it ever did), you have to download the software from their website.

NOTE: cables that were sold prior to March 2008 are older cables which are only compatible with Durametrics Version 5 software. The newest version is 6.3.2.5

To determine what version of cable you have, go here:

Durametric Software | Upgrade Information

The new cables are compatible with Version 5 and 6.

You CAN upgrade an older cable to a new one, but there's a $150 charge to do that.

Hope this helps

Bill

P.S. I like Mark T's suggestion of contacting Durametric. You don't want to get stuck with a clone cable!
Their numbers are: North America (888) 854-5523 Outside North America +1-619-561-2196

KevinH1990 01-02-2014 05:08 PM

My wife bought my cable used as a Christmas present about 3 years ago. (The seller had posted here or on Renntech and I provided my wife with the contact information.)

My understanding was that the cable had been used on one car. I had not verified this until I saw Gary_d's post tonight. The test shows only the last 6 digits of the VIN, and those corresponded to the VIN on my car.

So, I guess that I got a deal since my wife only paid $125 for the cable and it is the newer version.

Interesting result. I had been saving my third VIN in the event that I ever bought a new Porsche. Now I can buy two new Porsches.

tommy782 01-02-2014 05:33 PM

Ok thanks guys i think i will wait and buy the real cable.

Thanks for the fast response all!!

NewArt 07-14-2015 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinH1990 (Post 379318)
My wife bought my cable used as a Christmas present about 3 years ago. (The seller had posted here or on Renntech and I provided my wife with the contact information.)

My understanding was that the cable had been used on one car. I had not verified this until I saw Gary_d's post tonight. The test shows only the last 6 digits of the VIN, and those corresponded to the VIN on my car.

So, I guess that I got a deal since my wife only paid $125 for the cable and it is the newer version.

Interesting result. I had been saving my third VIN in the event that I ever bought a new Porsche. Now I can buy two new Porsches.

This is interesting. My cable, bought new from Durametric, shows no VINs even though I have been using it for over 2 years on my car. The "used car analysis" feature is unclear as well. If I plug it into a prospective car, will the VIN be recorded?

JayG 07-14-2015 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewArt (Post 457324)
This is interesting. My cable, bought new from Durametric, shows no VINs even though I have been using it for over 2 years on my car. The "used car analysis" feature is unclear as well. If I plug it into a prospective car, will the VIN be recorded?

Mine does the same thing, no attached vins even though I have used it on both of my cars.

I believe you can pull basic info form a car without recording the vin. Check the manual

NewArt 07-15-2015 04:07 AM

Unfortunately, the manual is not clear about what one can do/not do befote it registers a VIN.
So, for those of us using this tool, is this a common phenomenon: no VINs being registered on your cable?

EJ-Fresno 07-15-2015 06:48 AM

Bought the Durametric new, used it only on my car, and it does show 1 VIN to be registered.

rick3000 07-15-2015 07:02 AM

I just bought a Durametric (arriving today), from what I read:
-They updated the cables in '08, pre-'08 cables will not work with the latest software. I would be suspect of a cable old enough to come with a CD.
-With the Enthusiast cable (3 VIN limit) you can still read an unlimited number of cars for their used car info only (overrevs, running hours, etc)
-If it's not logging VIN's, my guess would be you have the Pro version (unlimited VIN's). Just a guess.

NewArt 07-15-2015 04:51 PM

There are other differences between the enthusiast and pro versions. My version is the former: stamped right on it; and it lacks the advanced functionality of the pro version.
I wonder what action triggers the VIN registration in this tool. Anyone know? Maybe I'll call them if I can get some time during the day.

amagalla 07-16-2015 01:29 PM

Call them. Those guys are great. I was looking to buy a reconditioned version of the cable from them (they have them from time to time), but I found someone selling theirs. They guy at Durametric told me how to view the VINs and went so far as to say that even if it has 3 VINs on it, Durametric will reset the VINs to zero (can only be done once), and that I should get the used one I found.

Cool company to offer that.

Tony