986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Hahaha (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/4897-hahaha.html)

natecooper 01-26-2006 09:46 PM

Hahaha

So I'm turning onto a fairly major road (Cahuenga North of the hills if you know LA) at the exact same time as some hoped up Eclipse, that looks like a reject from the fast and the furious, turns onto the same road. It's loud as hell, and obviously hopped up with way more HP than it can handle. Whatever, to each his or her own. The guy pulls along my side and revs, he wants to race. Great idea on a busy road that I see cops on all the time. He keeps trying to get me to race but I won't do it. Finally after he realizes I'm not biting, he decides it's time to show his muscles and floors it. He gets about 100 feet ahead of me, then one of his freaking tire blows. He slowed down and safely pulled over (allowing me to laugh without feeling bad). Holy crap it was funny.

eslai 01-26-2006 11:06 PM

*sigh* yet another Eclipse retard making the rest of us look bad. :(

Brucelee 01-27-2006 05:21 AM

You exercised great restraint.

Thanks for that and yes, that was funny!

:cheers:

RandallNeighbour 01-27-2006 06:08 AM

I owned an red Eclipse turbo. It was a fun car for the four years I owned it. I was much younger and much harder on it than I am with cars today. Case in point, I was doing about 60 in 2nd gear one day when I experienced "premature" timing belt failure (49,920 miles on the car, just 80 miles inside the powertrain warranty, thank God!). It bent two valves in two places (each).

I hated the torque steer. But that car could get up to speed fast and I could bark the tires in first, second and even third gear. It wasn't expensive speed either. I paid $18k for it new in 1990.

Perfectlap 01-27-2006 08:58 AM

I don't know how it is over there on left coast but over here I know maybe 7 people who own this mitsu and they are all from Asian countries???!!
Korean, Philipino, Chinese, one Thai etc.
Same story when I visit the Hot Import shows, those are great fun some people have really good taste and some have none(like the girl who asked me for a dollar to take her picture!!).
The civics, scions, VW's are all owned by people from all over the ethnic map but the eclipse is some strange phenom.

natecooper 01-27-2006 09:41 AM

It's a little different out here, there are a lot of white boys with hopped up imports out here. And some of those things are fast as hell, it's very possible that his Eclipse would have handed me my ass. I gotta say I even like the styling of SOME of them. It was just so freaking funny that he was just trying to egg me on and show off, then his car fell apart.

It is a phenomenon, at the Los Angeles Auto Show this year I would say over half of the car manufactures had at least 1 car that was "Pimped out". The only ones that didn't were mostly high end manufactures (Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, etc.) Hell, Hyundai had their sports compact with NOS in it.