986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Plastic window replacement (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/4893-plastic-window-replacement.html)

slogans7 01-26-2006 04:52 PM

Plastic window replacement

Well, with both crow and foot firmly in mouth after commenting that the rear window on a 2002 shouldn't crack, I cracked mine by doing the Boxster chop when it was too cold. It's not too big but will spread, of course.

I could just go cheap and put some tape or something over it but would prefer replacing the thing. I know a local shop that did the same job on a Miata and 325ic of mine, but I need to get the plastic. Anybody know any good sources that'll have the right plastic in the right shape? I seem to remember someone suggesting to check with places that do tops for boats...

And I don't want to put on a whole new top with glass window.

slogans7 02-03-2006 12:48 PM

Not exactly a plethora of responses, eh? Anyroad, I got a quote from a local guy - for $500! Says he's got to take the top off in order to replace the window. Maybe I should bid on that 986 top on e-bay!

Seriously, has anyone found anyplace that sells just the plastic window?

jdmidyette 02-03-2006 02:49 PM

I'm following you closely on this as I have a spot starting on my rear window. Hopefully it will not let go soon; however, as you found you never know.

2002 Lapis Blue/Grey S

nautiquelfe 02-03-2006 03:28 PM

You should try mcmaster carr as a source for the plastic as im sure they have what you'll need. They are a huge source for most anything and everything. I have catalogue's but I'm sure they have a website to search. I'm not sure what the gauge thickness is for the material but I do know when you replace the plastic alone the shop has to remove a small amount of the fabric. I believe they cut off enough to remove the old seems. That requires the new window to be slightly larger in size. Buy a piece of square stock and have the upholstery shop cut it to size using the old one as a pattern. By the way what will they be charging for the labor for removing and replacing the top?

BadBoyS 02-03-2006 03:30 PM

Check the other threads search convertible tops.. I got around the same quote and seems might as well just replace the top (plus you can go to a glass window) there is a top on ebay used for 49.00 you can trace that through the threads. Good luck

:cheers: :dance:

MNBoxster 02-03-2006 05:49 PM

Hi,

With the recent Price Hike in the Glass Replacement Tops, replacing the Plastic Window is a more attractive option than before. Should I choose this route, I'm going to have the Upholstery Shop sew-in a Nylon Zipper and then have one sewn to the Plastic Window, similar to what older Sports Cars used to have. Also, I'll have them make up a couple spares while they're at it so f/when it fails again, all I need do is zip the old one out and the new one back in.

My car is only used on Sunny days as a Fun Car, so the Top is down about 98% of the time. Only if I get caught in a Rain or am washing the Car is the Top ever raised. For this little Top UP use, a zippered window would work just fine. I also have the Partial Cover available on eBay and if I'm not driving it for some period, I put this on, Top Down, just to keep the bugs and dust out while it's in the garage...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Ronzi 02-03-2006 07:01 PM

Sounds like a reasonable plan MNBox. Zip-out rear windows used to be very common on some of the Brit roadsters. They were used mostly as a crude form of air conditioning to allow the breeze to blow through the cabin and out the back with the top up. The zip only extended 3/4 of the way around, and the window was sewn in on the bottom.
I don't know this for sure, but I would think that an auto convert top shop would have bulk plastic for windows. I wouldn't think they would have a special one available for every convertible that drove in the door. But maybe they do. ???