986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Care clinic for you San Diego types! (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/4874-care-clinic-you-san-diego-types.html)

Brucelee 01-24-2006 03:41 PM

Care clinic for you San Diego types!

I just recd this email. These guys are good!

Dear Richard ,
I'd like to make you aware of our Tech Night session coming up this Thursday evening. This month's topic will be "Repairing Paint Chips & Scratches".

This is a skill of interest to many car owners and most car enthusiasts, as sooner or later chips and scratches happen. I will be showing attendees how to deal with these problems quickly, easily and with very little cost.

Our Tech Session will be held in the ARC of San Diego auditorium. There is no charge, and there's plenty of room, but please RSVP so we can properly plan for pizza and drinks.

To RSVP, go to our event calendar page (if you are not an autopia.org member, please register... it's quick and easy) and click the "I Plan to Attend" link. Here's a quick link to the calendar page:

http://autopia.org/forum/calendar.php?do=attend&e=16

The event starts promptly at 6:30 and ends at 8:30. The address is:

9575 Aero Drive
San Diego, California 92123-1803

http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?addr=9575+Aero+Drive&csz=San+Diego%2C+ California+92123&country=us&new=1&name=&qty=

Hope to see you there!

Yours in Better Car Care,

David Bynon
Autopia Car Care

eslai 01-25-2006 11:17 AM

Yeah I got that email too, I plan on going. :)

SD987 01-25-2006 12:28 PM

Eslai, we have about the same number of miles on our 987s (@12,000) and I haven't had a single chip on the hood yet (no bra or coating in-place). Have you? How about other 987 owners? Maybe they improved the paint.

I'd heard some tales of woe from 986 owners but so far, don't know what all the fuss is about. And I drive...aggressively. Then again, road salt and other bad conditions aren't real prevalent here in the greater Southern California area.

BoxsterSbob 01-25-2006 12:47 PM

I did read something about Porsche (actually all German brands) using a harder clearcoat starting in '05. If true, that could be the reason.

How well does your car resist swirling?

04S
bob

SD987 01-25-2006 01:28 PM

"How well does your car resist swirling?"

Tragically, not particularly well :(

However, part of that is attributable to....user-error.

eslai 01-25-2006 01:31 PM

Well, with that clear bra on my car I can't say I have any chips....

...or at least I should be able to say that, but I have ONE tiny little one just a little bit above where the clear bra stops. :) It's almost invisible though.

As for paint swirls, none so far and I've been very bad about waxing it. :( But then, my car's not nearly as dark as SD987s so that helps!

Oh, and dude, you bought a brand-new SLK as well as the Boxster!?

SD987 01-25-2006 02:19 PM

I got the SLK awhile back on a a 3-year lease. Back when I was car-shopping, I was going to get a 650 convertible or an SL500, but after doing some test-driving, I liked, but was not overwhelmed with either. So I basically split the payment and got two cars instead (for various reasons, I do a boat-load of driving). Driving two roadsters may seem borderline-retarded at first but the comparison between the two cars ends there, in my mind. The Merc is also well-optioned, where the Box is not, but they are still two distinctly different vehicles.

I drive the Merc when I don't feel like manually shifting, having the six-cylinder drone right behind my noggin, or there is the distinct chance of rain. Otherwise I'll drive the Box. In an answer to a question no one asked, my comparison between the two would be:

Merc:
Has some standard features that should be standard on the Box
Air-scarf is awesome (blows hot or cold air on your neck, may cause an erection)
7 speed automatic is pretty good, must drive aggressive in sport mode or shifts very rough
Better cockpit protection in wind
Crap standard stereo, call it a tie with the Box
Vinyl windscreen works ok, but severely hampers night vision/looking out for cops
Feels a little more torquey, not a severe difference unless in fifth gear where it's much better
Automatic hardtop is an engineering marvel in motion, worth the price of admission
Steering wheel adjustment is much better (it's mechanical)
Standard seat adjustment is much better
Cupholders are retarded
Trunk space, particularly with hardtop down is a joke
Better standard OBC
Best looking rear-end on a car....ever
Better looking standard rims

Box:
Better seats overall, although Merc's is good
Coolest cupholders ever
More trunk space
Constant drone of engine behind head with top-up is eventually grating. Some would disagree.
Retractable spoiler - high level of coolness - just wish I could see it :)
Better headlights
Crap radio reception
Wind screen rattle - still
Better handling, although not the wide gap some might think
Better sounding exhaust/engine note, although it could use a little bass, which the Merc and Boxster S has.

eslai 01-25-2006 02:40 PM

I've driven my friend's SLK and I agree with everything you've said about it I think. The only thing I'd add is that the SLK has the same dead steering feel that all Mercs seem to have. I really like the wind isolation though, it's definitely way better than the Boxster's.

However, that windstop is awful. The glare from headlights at night is just ridiculous.

Anyhow, all off-topic of course. :) Are you going to go to this clinic?

SD987 01-25-2006 02:50 PM

The steering does feel a little dead when compared to the Box, but the new "active steering" Porsche put on the 987 definitely makes the steering wheel feel more "alive" when compared to others. That being said, the SLK will surprise you when you push it. Turn in is pretty good for a non-mid-engined car.

As far as the tech session goes, I like the idea of tech sessions in general, but the subject "Using the Porter Cable 7424 to Repair Chips & Scratches" isn't giving me a woodie. Especially since I have neither a Porter Cable or Chips in my car. Maybe next time :cheers:

eslai 01-25-2006 03:27 PM

I expect it to be a bit of a sales pitch to buy a polisher, but if anything I just want to see the technique. I've always been a bit scared of sanding my car and all that...