Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2013, 08:30 AM   #1

fuel treatment

Was watching 5th gear and they were showing hp increases by doing simple maintenance such as oil change and air filters, plugs and spark plug wires. One of the interesting ones was using a injector/fuel cleaner where they increased about 5 hp on the dyno. Any one use a fuel treatment on their cars? Think this is true?

tanque55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:26 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanque55 View Post
Was watching 5th gear and they were showing hp increases by doing simple maintenance such as oil change and air filters, plugs and spark plug wires. One of the interesting ones was using a injector/fuel cleaner where they increased about 5 hp on the dyno. Any one use a fuel treatment on their cars? Think this is true?
I would personally never throw in a chemical that has not been tested on the various materials found in Pcar's motors (seals, gaskets, bearings, rods, etc). But that's just excessive paranoia maybe! Unless the engineers from Porsche themselves tells me 'no worries' then I'd be happy to give it a try.

I don't think you looking at gains, but more of a factory setting "restoration" by de-clogging FIs or having fresh engine (vital) parts swapped to NEW. I wouldn't be surprised that if you change all of the parts you've mentioned above for new P parts I'm sure you'll gain back the +25hp that your car was originally giving out for free
Old 10-05-2013, 09:40 AM   #3

Garage
I believe your OK the item mention in the previous post are more scare tactic than fact. Head gaskets are 3 ply stainless steel. If you get this in to your rod and bearing your using it wrong, or you have more serious problems like ring blow by. They are designed to clean injectors and valves stem and any carbon build up. Like the previous post you will probably get lost power back unless they are designed to improve the effect of ethanol in your fuel. Almost all engines today have a high percentage of aluminum in head and cylinders. The manufactures of these product could ill afford the consequence of supplying a product that damaged aluminum while burning.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:11 AM   #4

Reminds me two years ago when I asked this question to my well respected Porsche indy here. "Can't we just throw in a can of cleaning magic?!" the look on his face meant a lot of words he couldn't say loudly.

What he did is removed the FIs and send them to cleaning in a ultrasonic bath. Of course this was only to troubleshoot if they needed replacing or not. Ended up having to replace a pair - what a laugh, not much more power but different response for sure.

I'd be surprised if the Magic Cleaners are restoring the spray pattern and vital feature of the injectors. To my knowledge liquids takes the fastest path... not necessarily 'cleaning much'. What other deposit(s) they make on the long run?

Waste of money, not the safest in my opinion. But again I am inexperienced and completely paranoid when it comes to "commercial" chemical BS

PS: Tried to stop my wife buying cosmetics, telling her she will look old no matter what Magic Products she buys
Old 10-05-2013, 10:15 AM   #5

The only fuel additive I would use would be Chevron Techron . I use it every 8th tank or so of fuel.

Fuel Additives
OHBoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:20 AM   #6

I could be wrong but I think I remember my indy telling me I will automatically fry my oxygen sensors and damage my cat converters. Could that be true?
Old 10-05-2013, 06:32 PM   #7

You'd think these engines were made of paper mâché. People seem so scared of their cars sometimes.

No way Techron, or other reputable cleaners are going to eat up your engine or ruin your O2 sensors.

Your Bosch sensors used on other non P-cars. Think they have an issue too? Use what you want, if you want too. Your motor won't explode...at least no from the additive.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #8
Need For Speed

Garage
I use this.

104+ Octane Boost 10410 - Octane Boost | O'Reilly Auto Parts
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
Your motor won't explode...at least no from the additive.
I've used WD-40 to loosen 1 (one) external mounting bolt and the PORSCHE motor survived. I was very impressed!

Q: Let's say... I put in some super reputable Mr Magic Cleaning stuff in my fuel tank. If one trapped particle dislodge itself after the fuel filter for instance (from a hose fitting edge for example), and that particle is more than 0.03mm in size. What happen to my FI's spray pattern once it get jammed inside what appears to be micron-size jets? Now that is a 1 (one) particle example, what if there are more... do I ruin my FIs by doing so?

or maybe the Mr Magic Cleaning stuff is acting like DRANO and eats everything?! lol

Now assuming my FIs are now freshly clogged or ruined, this gives me a completely wrong A/F ratio mix every time I run the car, you think my cat converters and O2 sensors would live a long life? I'd possibly have codes logging everywhere before they do fail but regardless, do you get my point?

Again, I know crap about Pcars so apologies in advance if this makes no sense.

Last edited by Nine8Six; 10-06-2013 at 01:41 AM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote