Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2006, 04:32 AM   #1

So Im at Starbucks.......

......and Im standing outside drinking my coffee and talking on my cell phone. We all know why Im not driving ,talking on the phone and shifting, right? No damn cup holder. So, try to visualize this lay out. Starbucks is right off a four lane busy as heck road and when you pull in the parking lot is a slight grade. The parking spots are angled. This fairly young guy pulls in the first spot gets out and runs in the place. While Im talking to my friend I happen to notice this Miata rolling backwards towards the four lane street. "**************** I got to go there is a car rolling away" slam my phone closed, run around the fenced in area and get behind the car and stop it. Im standing there holding this car, now I know its just a Miata but if I let go it keeps rolling. This lady just picked up her order from the drive through which happened to be on the other side of the building and now shes in her car looking right at me. She glares at me as if to say, hey **************************** what the hell are you doing. I just shruged my shoulders and said "Its not my car" Did she offer to help? No. Deciding I cant stay like this forever I run around,grab the door handle and pull the E-brake. Anyway, I go get the guy and he runs outside. You know his response? " Dude, weird thats happened before, thanks" Then he just jumps in and leaves. I would have been happy with just a sincere thanks. What did I get? Glared at, broken cell case and a whatever from the owner. Oh well, thats my story.

Old 01-24-2006, 05:21 AM   #2

You know Ohio I used to work at a place where they coined the phrase "no good deed goes unpunished" Sometimes doing the right thing is the only reward for doing the right thing!
Paul
ford40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 05:25 AM   #3

You know you did the right thing. Don't worry about them. And start making your own coffee and buy something nice for your car with the money you save.
Old 01-24-2006, 05:32 AM   #4

good deed and discipline will get you to places. That's one reason you're driving Porsche and he's a well...Miata. The "one" above is watching
Old 01-24-2006, 05:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by threpwood
good deed and discipline will get you to places. That's one reason you're driving Porsche and he's a well...Miata. The "one" above is watching
Hey I take offense to that! I drove a Miata as my toy car for years!
rteichman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 05:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rteichman
Hey I take offense to that! I drove a Miata as my toy car for years!
oops, I forgot I add Jerry Seinfield style "not that there is anything wrong with that..."
Old 01-24-2006, 07:01 AM   #7

:D I like it

Nice! I believe the same.

You are doing the right thing by helping out. It will come back to you!

Quote:
BobMarley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 07:12 AM   #8

Nice job. Virtue is its own reward!

I will give a sincere thanks on behalf of the half-wit.

Thanks Buddy, you saved me a TON of money!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 07:33 AM   #9

Quote:
...That's one reason you're driving Porsche and he's a well...Miata...
Hey,

Careful - Bashing the Miata is totally undeserved. It's a Wonderful Car, maybe the most innovative in the past 25 years. It is a Marque to be respected. Sorry, not poking at you, but I HATE Porsche Snobbery. If you're lucky enough to own one, that does NOT make you anything special...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 08:43 AM   #10

Good deeds are well and good. But seeing that Miata smashed, in retrospect, would have been a site! Huh?
(provided no one got hurt)
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 09:08 AM   #11

Yeah seeing anything get smashed is fun but someone could have gotten hurt. Im just a sucker for helping people,lol. Thanks for the kind words.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:21 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to asnigro
You never know, you saving that car from going into the street may have prevented someone from swerving into the parking lot and hitting your beloved Boxster!
asnigro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 09:24 AM   #13

A few days ago I was at a mini-mall store on one of those days when the jet stream dips just low enough to give us almost hurricane force wind.
The parking lot is maybe 1/2-block square, with a few cars up near the store, and one guy sitting in a Mercedes talking on his cell phone 'way out at the far corner of the lot.
The wind starts an abandoned merchandise cart rolling. It picks up speed, bumps over little stones, avoids curbs, makes a long graceful arc, and like a ground-to-air missle steadily homes in on the Benz. It hits the driver's door smack in the middle and Cell Phone Guy jumps like he'd been shot with a pellet gun.

I laughed.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 09:29 AM   #14
bmussatti

There is probably a posting somewhere on a Miata Forum, and the story goes like this:

"Well, I went to Starbucks this morning on my way into the office. When I came out with my skim, no foam, extra hot, grande latte, there was this dude trying to steal my car. During the struggle, I whacked him with his own cell phone. As I was driving away, I looked in my rear-view mirror and saw him successfully steal a Porsche! I am kind of shocked he didn't go for that car first!!"

Last edited by bmussatti; 01-24-2006 at 09:32 AM.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:02 AM   #15

That story reminds me of one time when I took my dad out in my Boxster. We pulled over to look at an old VW that was for sale. He parked the car, didn't put the e brake on. As we were walking towards the VW I saw my baby rolling towards a nasty little accident. I had to jump in the car (glad the top was down) and pulled the e brake about 2 feet before situation crisis. Honestly this is why more people need automatics.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:12 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by natecooper
Honestly this is why more people need automatics.
That's not always a solution.... a number of years ago I parked my MB 190E in front of my inlaw's house. My wife got out and I reached over to pick up a cake we brought that was on the floor of the passenger side. In doing so I knocked the car out of park but didn't notice it and didn't set the ebrake. I locked the doors and we went into the party.

Several hours later we leave only to find the car is not where I left it. I run back in and call the cops to tell them my car was stolen, only to find out afterwards that the car rolled down the hill, crossed 4 lanes of traffic and crashed into a guard rail. The cops at the scene were mystified to find the car there, locked, but in gear!

Rob
rteichman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 10:21 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by natecooper
Honestly this is why more people need automatics.
Hahaha and thus the circle is closed. Join us next week, folks for a rousing round of "Boxster versus Boxster S".
Old 01-24-2006, 06:34 PM   #18

As the Boxster turns....
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 01:39 PM   #19

This is a true story that happened a while back:

Sitting at the end of a runway on a private airstrip waiting for our corp attorney to land ( and I mean literaly sitting at the end looking straight up the runway)

I was watching an ultra-light aircraft getting ready to take off, he floors it and swear he went at about a 45 degree angle on take off straight up, so I started my car thinking I probably should back up, when his engine siezes at about 150 feet up (it made an incredible CRACK sound).

The ultra-light immeditatly pitches from 45 degree incline to 45 degree decline coming straight at me. I backed up and I went forward trying to figure where he was going to auger in without hitting me! He wizzed over my Porsche and tumbled and came to rest about 200 feet from my car.

I immeditaly jumped out and started to run over to where the crumpled craft was and as I was running I was thinking (I hope to hell he is OK cause I have no medical training and forget about mouth to mouth if he is not breathing ) When I got to the craft, he emerges from a cloud of dust un injured except for a nasty cut on his head. All I said was (are you OK, can I do anything?)

The jerk accuses me of causing the wreck (WTH), which immeditaly gets me fired up, I wipped out the cell phone to call police, to report a wreck, he goes into freak mode and said please dont call anyone.

I put the cell phone away and just said good luck with all of this and left.

2000 2.7 Lapis Blue Boxster, Sports Pkg, Lit, Tip, Exhaust, De amber'fied
1983 911 SC Coupe 3.0 Gaurds Red (restoration, in pieces)
199? 993 Coupe Gaurds Red (lurking for....)
rbennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 03:09 PM   #20

What goes around, comes around; just good karma.

boxtex is offline   Reply With Quote