986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Whats my engine worth and what is the biggest baddest engine I can put in my boxster (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/48659-whats-my-engine-worth-what-biggest-baddest-engine-i-can-put-my-boxster.html)

violametallic-S- 09-30-2013 05:32 PM

Whats my engine worth and what is the biggest baddest engine I can put in my boxster

So it's confirmed my 01 S has a head issue. I've always wanted to replace my engine from day one to something a lot more powerful. So basically this issue gave me that extra push to do so now. My mechanic wants it and will install another engine for me.

Few questions - firstly, what is my engine worth to my Porsche mechanic in its current state? 2001 3.2 70km on it and built in Germany..

Secondly what's the most powerful engine I can slap in there? Can I put in a 997 engine? Please give me some tips. I'm looking for max horsepower of course :P

coreseller 09-30-2013 05:41 PM

Look no further:

Performance Street

nefarious986 09-30-2013 05:44 PM

Renegade Hybrids

violametallic-S- 09-30-2013 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coreseller (Post 365768)
Look no further:

Performance Street

I looked at that option at the beginning of the summer and it was just too expensive. Just for the rebuild to get 350hp cost 18 plus. Then I'd have to ship it there n back from Ottawa Canada which will get pricey. I did the calculations and after everything said and done it was about 25k

I know I can find an engine with more power for a lot cheaper and then selling my current engine to my mechanic plus free install

violametallic-S- 09-30-2013 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nefarious986 (Post 365769)

Still want to keep it a Porsche inside and out. But they boxster review is very cool. Curious about the price

BYprodriver 09-30-2013 06:23 PM

This is what I love about mine:

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-parts-sale-wanted/33609-boxster-3-6-rebuilt-engine.html

violametallic-S- 10-01-2013 06:57 PM

bump for being serious here

coreseller 10-01-2013 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by violametallic-S- (Post 365771)
I looked at that option at the beginning of the summer and it was just too expensive. Just for the rebuild to get 350hp cost 18 plus. Then I'd have to ship it there n back from Ottawa Canada which will get pricey. I did the calculations and after everything said and done it was about 25k

I know I can find an engine with more power for a lot cheaper and then selling my current engine to my mechanic plus free install

You asked this:

"Whats my engine worth and what is the biggest baddest engine I can put in my boxster"

I answered this:

Performance Street

You replied this:

"I looked at that option at the beginning of the summer and it was just too expensive."

Another member offered this:

http://www.renegadehybrids.com/

Your last reply is:

"bump for being serious here " after another member offered another economical high HP alternative.....................which do you want?

Maybe it is time to consider another type of vehicle? ZO6?

AKnowles 10-01-2013 07:20 PM

I think he wants not what he asked for originally. Based on his remarks, I'd say he wants the least intrusive, least expensive, best bang for the buck alternative and for that he should probably give up everything else and just go with dropping in a used engine from a similar model 996 S. From what I recall these are more horsepower and can be fitted without a lot of work.

For myself, if I were going to spend any modey on a new engine, I'd seriously consider sending it to Jake for a 3.6 DIY upgrade and if I had the money let Jake go to town on it. Otherwise, there is just no reason to spend money on a bigger engine.

rp17 10-01-2013 08:52 PM

Whats the labor cost to drop in a new engine?

j.fro 10-02-2013 01:03 AM

What's your budget?
How much work can you do on your own?

coreseller 10-02-2013 04:49 AM

From what I have observed over the past several years, there is simply no way to significantly increase a Porsche Flat 6 motor's horsepower output without spending serious money.

Small incremental increases may be had via exhaust / intake / pullies etc. but nothing dramatic. Supercharging is an option but that can get dicey also with longevity.

Aknowles recommendation of a 996 transplant is probably the best approach value wise. Good Luck :cheers:

Perfectlap 10-02-2013 07:05 AM

Sorry to hear that.

may I ask how many water pumps you've had up to your 70K km's?

Jake Raby 10-02-2013 07:57 AM

A few plots from our 2013 base engines compared to a stock 3.6 996 engine.

The 3.8 Gen III plot was originally a 3.2 Boxster S engine from 2001. This engine was applied with no conversion being made to the vehicle, in fact the 3.8 was built from the original engine from the 01 Boxster S.

The Stage I & II 4.0 is based from an 06 and later Cayman/ 07 and later Boxster stock 3.4 base engine.

I have yet to release the Gen IV data from these packages :-)
https://scontent-a-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/...33129347_n.jpg

trimer 10-02-2013 11:42 AM

so what is the biggest my 2.7 base motor can be taken to. If I were to have it pulled and re-worked... whats the biggest it can go without having issues? Might be a dumb question but I really dont know the answer...

Jake Raby 10-02-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trimer (Post 365983)
so what is the biggest my 2.7 base motor can be taken to. If I were to have it pulled and re-worked... whats the biggest it can go without having issues? Might be a dumb question but I really dont know the answer...

2.9L increasing the bore from 85.5 to 89mm.

Thats one of my oldest combinations, the first M96 that we created was a 2.9 :-)

reiver 10-02-2013 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake Raby (Post 365985)

Thats one of my oldest combinations, the first M96 that we created was a 2.9 :-)

Hi Mr. Raby,

Why is that option not listed on the (flat6innovations) site? There doesn't seem to be a 2.7 - 2.9L option that I could find.

Thanks,
Strich9

trimer 10-02-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake Raby (Post 365985)

So in reality what really woult that add in power. Sounds minimal?

reiver 10-02-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trimer (Post 365992)
So in reality what really woult that add in power. Sounds minimal?

Looks like more than just increasing bore. I think they use lighter pistons, better heat dispersion, better coating, etc that should combine with the displacement increase. Maybe 50hp over stock? around 265-270 (with larger injectors) would be my wild guess. I could be wrong...

nefarious986 10-02-2013 03:16 PM

As others here have touched on .. a Boxster isn't the best platform for big horsepower gain without spending serious serious coins.

A economical way to add serious power to the Boxster simply doesn't exist. The most cost effective one is the 3.6 swap.

Sometimes a particular car just don't "fit" certain people's mentality ( absolutely no offense ). Its much easier on you and your wallet to switch to another car that fit than to force it to be something its not designed or intended to ever be. Like trying to mod a Prius to tow a trailer.

If pure HP and raw straight line speed is your pursuit, you're driving the wrong car. You'll feel much more at home in a Rousch Mustang or Hennessy Corvette or 911TT ( if you want to stay in the Pcar family ).