Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2006, 07:40 AM   #1

Replacing Spark Plugs

I have a 2001 (50,000+ miles) with a small oil leak. It's not coming from the oil drain plug and I think it might be coming from the spark plug. I know the spark plugs have o-rings that can cause the leak and my question is: what tools are necessary to replace the spark plugs and how difficult is the job? The car is scheduled to go to the dealer is coming Monday and I know the bill isn't going to be small. If it is something I can do to save money than I'll give it a try. I don't have the skills and knowledge of a mechanic but I do atleast change the car's oil and other minor fixes.

Is there a quick way to be sure that the leak is coming from the o-rings? What other places could the leak be coming from (before I decide to cancel the appointment)? Should I be smelling a burning oil smell in the beginning if it's the spark plugs leak? There is no smoke when I have the car's engine running or idling.
Thanks...

spgribben007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 08:25 AM   #2

The plugs are easy to replace. The O-rings look to be easy too and a cheap replacement. If you go to the Boxster maintenance section on my website there are instructions and required tools for plug replacement. The most important thing is to get the correct spark plugs with the proper heat rating of 7. I have the part number listed on the site, just don't settle for the plugs sold at the local auto store. The site linked above have '97-'99 for the plug, but they are actually for '97-'04.

The O-ring instructions say you just need some expanding pliers (the ones that open when you squeeze the handle rather than close and grab) to put in the plug tube and pull it out.

Whatever you decide to do, you should get the Bentley manual so you have some kind of reference while you work on things.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top

Last edited by deliriousga; 01-25-2006 at 08:34 AM.
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 08:37 AM   #3

deliriousga - Thanks for the info.

Is it common to have oil leaks coming from the spark plugs?
Old 01-25-2006, 08:47 AM   #4

another question: Since the car has 50,000 miles and the next major is 60,000 should I just replace the o-rings and where do I get them?
Old 01-25-2006, 10:01 AM   #5
bmussatti

Try getting your parts from www.suncoastporsche.com
Old 01-25-2006, 11:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Try getting your parts from www.suncoastporsche.com
Definitely. I got them at my local dealer for around $30 for the set so Suncoast probably has a much better deal. They will have the plugs too.

1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote