Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2006, 11:09 AM   #1
blkboxster

350z

Has anybody here driven a Nissan 350z.And if you have how was it...

Old 01-20-2006, 11:11 AM   #2
bmussatti

I have not, but their commercials are great (if a commercial can be called great)!
Old 01-20-2006, 11:35 AM   #3

I test drove an Enthusiast Model before deciding on a Boxster S.

They're very fun to drive, great HP, nice trans just the interior was SO CHEAP looking, and felt pretty flimsy (Definitely a Nissan). I walked away from it because of the cheap interior.

You could get a G35 coupe, but its a larger car, VERY nice interior, but a larger car and $10,000 more.

KRZ
KRZTACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 11:48 AM   #4

Hi,

I have an old friend who is the North American Service Director for Nissan. Back in the Summer of '02, 1 month prior to introduction, he arranged for me to have an Evaluation Model for a week. Being an old Z Freak, I jumped at the chance.

After a week, and some 2,500 miles, my impression?...Poser... Great Powerplant/Drivetrain, but the rest was awful. Bad Fit/Finish, Materials, Brakes, Suspension - Atrocious Styling!

Of course, I was comparing it to a Sports Car (which it's not), and to the True Zs from the '70's (which it will NEVER be)...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 12:14 PM   #5

Drove one first year they came out, very fast, thought it handled well also....Styling wasn't that bad externally, just not my cup of tea tho....
MNBoxster is right tho, the interiors look cheap, and the finish leaves something to be desired.

Seemed to be hard to get comfortable in the seat in a good shifting position as well....Maybe had something to do with being 5' 6", the Z seems geared more to a taller driver....

Work done '06 :Replaced bad hose and clamps from reservoir tank
oil change and filter
replaced seals on both cam covers
brakes bled and refilled
Replaced bent rear right lower control arm
Front air dams and 3 underbody panels replaced
Halogen headlamps replaced
bigislandboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 12:20 PM   #6

It is a lot of car for $30 large but not my cup of tea.

Liked the 1990-96 Z much better.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 03:23 PM   #7

I thought I wanted a Z...then I drove one, and rejected it mainly due to the things that have already been mentioned-lousy interior, external styling isn't quite right. Then I realized that what I really wanted was a Boxster, and that turned out to be the right decision for me. The G35 coupe has been mentioned, and I really think it's a better choice than the Z, because the interior is better and the exterior is really nice looking.
Phil Buxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 04:04 PM   #8

350z, G35, Boxster; they are all great cars. The 350z feels much heaftier driving, but has more power so it balances to be a very similar 'get up and go' expierience. Overall, I was very impressed with the 350, great speed and great handling. A new one starts at around 28k, not a bad deal! However, I also tried a 350 convertible and it was no where near as fun to drive, the body just wasn't as stiff, lost something in the translation. Plus the drop top had a price tag of 40k and I just don't see spending that kind of money on a Nissan, hrm.... unless it's the GTR that is coming soon...
Old 01-20-2006, 04:04 PM   #9

I traded my 350Z in for my Boxster. I guess that tells you what I thought of the Z. Even though it had more HP & torque the Boxster is a lot more fun to drive IMO. I hated the seating position and it just wasn't as refined overall. Lots of vibration in the shifter also.
03box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 04:08 PM   #10
blkboxster

thanks

thanks for telling me how the Zis..
Old 01-20-2006, 05:43 PM   #11

The Old Z was the first Japanese car I thought that could become a classic.
The new Z is akin to the 80's Corvette. SOmething that will be neglected and sitting on blocks as an ornament for a drive in burger joint in podunk somewhere.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 09:24 PM   #12

Drove the 350z and G35 coupe, they are good cars but not as good as the boxster.

speedyellow is offline   Reply With Quote