Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2013, 05:49 AM   #1
krh
krh

Battery drain..

Bought 2002 Boxster S last Sept. Car wouldn't start after 4-5 days without using it. New battery last year. This year got worse. Did some reading and found many ignition switches were at fault. Easy relacement, but it wasn't the problem. Had a draw of 750 milliamps. Removed Fuse B F1. and draw went to 50 milliamps. This fuse has Ignition cluster, Triptronic diagnosis, ASR/PSM button listed. Any help from here would be much appreciated!! Great forum

krh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:46 AM   #2
krh
krh

Just re-tested and also found second significant draw coming from Row D F8. Radio. With these two fuses pulled there is almost no draw. Thanks again for any help!
Old 09-01-2013, 08:02 AM   #3

You obviously have a large parasitic draw on those circuits, particularly B F1. Time to start looking at why.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:38 AM   #4
krh
krh

B F1 sure looks like the problem, but I really don't know where to start looking for a fix.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by krh View Post
B F1 sure looks like the problem, but I really don't know where to start looking for a fix.
Start by figuring out what is on that circuit, then disconnect them one at a time to you find the high draw item(s).
Old 09-01-2013, 04:36 PM   #6
krh
krh

Thanks JFP but I am new pretty new to this and don't know where to look for the circuits beyond the fuse box to disconnect. Is there a wiring pattern that I can follow?
Old 09-01-2013, 04:43 PM   #7

Is there anything electrical that is not stock on the car? Trunk lights not turning off?
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by krh View Post
Thanks JFP but I am new pretty new to this and don't know where to look for the circuits beyond the fuse box to disconnect. Is there a wiring pattern that I can follow?
If you have access to either the OEM service manual set or the Bentley manual for the Boxster, the answer is yes.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
If you have access to either the OEM service manual set or the Bentley manual for the Boxster, the answer is yes.
Good luck reading the Bentley wiring diagrams. The Boxster wiring diagrams are the worst set of drawings I have ever tried to follow.

986S
991S
Van Diemen RF97
LAP1DOUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAP1DOUG View Post
Good luck reading the Bentley wiring diagrams. The Boxster wiring diagrams are the worst set of drawings I have ever tried to follow.
And they are basically copies of the OEM manual diagrams.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:37 AM   #11
krh
krh

No Stephen, there is nothing else on in the car, I unplugged the lights to make sure they weren't on. It is all stock on the car. The diagrams sound fun. Its raining here in Maine today..maybe I can get my wife to sort through it. Dealer is 95 miles away. I was hoping to figure it out, but this is sounding more complicated than I thought it would be. Thanks for all the help. If anyone can think of anything else to do, please post. Lost in the Maine woods.