986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   lowering a Boxster (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/48016-lowering-boxster.html)

The French Dude 08-26-2013 03:51 PM

lowering a Boxster

Hi I would like to make my Boxster lower, I don't understand the differents way to do that, could you explain me what I need to do to have it lower ?

Thank you

fatmike 08-26-2013 04:22 PM

In general, springs control the height of the car. Theoretically, you can keep your suspension in place and just replace the springs (although I never researched that).

Better suspension systems are out there though. Search for "coilovers". A coilover has a strut + spring together. In many cases they are adjustable dampening (more/less firm). They are also typically threaded to allow you to set the height of the car precisely.

Search for KW Variant 3, or Bilstein PSS10. These systems are big bucks.

There are lots of other possibilities that other folks will tell you about too.

Good luck with it.

jsceash 08-26-2013 04:43 PM

This will be argued but there are 3 ways.
1. you buy HR or some similar set of lowering coil springs. You remove your struts install the new coils and put your original struts and new coils on. This gives you about an 1" to 2" of lowering. You loose that amount of travel in your suspension. You could get some bottoming of the strut and harsh ride. The height you buy is what you have
2. Buy a ROW setup or Bilstine strut set not adjustable. They are made to ride lower as a set. Better ride than just the spring because you still have all the travel and the pistons are designed for the ride level you end up with. The ride will be stiffer. you should not experience any bottoming. Again you get about 1" lowering.
3. You buy an adjustable strut set. There is a wide range of these. The spring perch is adjustable. The strut is designed with more valves and better baffle so it controls the oil flow in multiple levels and both directions. Some manufactures sell different springs to adapt to the ride or performance you want. You can change the height of the ride based on driving or ride preference. Most have 20 to 36 hydraulic settings to soften the rate. They can be as smooth as your original strut or race ready and very stiff.

Topless 08-26-2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsceash (Post 359673)
This will be argued but there are 3 ways.
1. you buy HR or some similar set of lowering coil springs. You remove your struts install the new coils and put your original struts and new coils on. This gives you about an 1" to 2" of lowering. You loose that amount of travel in your suspension. You could get some bottoming of the strut and harsh ride. The height you buy is what you have
2. Buy a ROW setup or Bilstine strut set not adjustable. They are made to ride lower as a set. Better ride than just the spring because you still have all the travel and the pistons are designed for the ride level you end up with. The ride will be stiffer. you should not experience any bottoming. Again you get about 1" lowering.
3. You buy an adjustable strut set. There is a wide range of these. The spring perch is adjustable. The strut is designed with more valves and better baffle so it controls the oil flow in multiple levels and both directions. Some manufactures sell different springs to adapt to the ride or performance you want. You can change the height of the ride based on driving or ride preference. Most have 20 to 36 hydraulic settings to soften the rate. They can be as smooth as your original strut or race ready and very stiff.

+1

The best way to control your ride height and maintain quality suspension tuning is with coilovers.

The French Dude 08-27-2013 11:48 AM

thank you all it was exactly what I wanted to know !

Chard 08-28-2013 11:45 AM

Where are you folks getting your coilovers and what brands are you running?

I know there's Bilstein PSS9/10, KW, H&R, JIC...all $2000+

There are some on ebay (D2, etc.) that are at a more reasonable range of $1xxx...anyone running those?

Topless 08-28-2013 01:42 PM

PSS9s on my car. Some say that they are not fully up to the task but I have no complaints. I've never been one to go with the lowest bidder on a critical part like struts. I prefer well tested over lowest price. YMMV

Van914 08-28-2013 02:03 PM

I went with Bilstein Sport Struts and Eibach springs

986_c6 08-30-2013 07:37 PM

H and R springs with stock struts/shocks...beautiful stance and kick*ss on the track also. Had done this since 2003 or so, now car has 78k miles

TAKART 08-30-2013 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chard (Post 360031)
Where are you folks getting your coilovers and what brands are you running?

I know there's Bilstein PSS9/10, KW, H&R, JIC...all $2000+

There are some on ebay (D2, etc.) that are at a more reasonable range of $1xxx...anyone running those?

I am also looking for this option (D2). If you find a place that ship to France please let me know. No pss9 or H&R for me. I don't want to spend too much because of the age of my car. Just need it lowered.