Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2013, 05:14 PM   #1
Living in the desert.

Key cutting?

The "local" Porsche shop wants to charge me an hour of labor to cut one key, which is ridiculous. Has anyone ever tried a locksmith? They are a lot cheaper, but I'm not sure if they can cut this style of key. I'm going to try to pay the locksmith a visit next week, but was wondering if anyone else had tried this. I don't want to go in there and have them laugh at me

I tried Ace Hardware today and the guy looked at me like I was some kind of alien

tonichristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:16 PM   #2

Garage
keysinthepost.com go on this website and email them a picture of your current key and they will send you an invoice for $24.99 and in a few days a new key in the mail. Unbelievable, but mine works like a new one. You will get only the blade to put in your own plastic head. I am not aware of any lock smiths that can cut these keys.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:39 PM   #3

Last edited by madmods; 08-29-2013 at 02:50 AM.
madmods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:05 PM   #4
Living in the desert.

Thank you both! I just used the keysinthepost website and it was really easy! Hopefully the key will be here soon. My transmitter thingy works ok but the key is splitting in the middle and sometimes it's hard to get it in or out.
I bought a cheap blank on eBay, so I guess I'll have a spare blank key but that's ok.

Thanks again!!!

tonichristi is offline   Reply With Quote