Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2013, 05:14 PM   #1

Radio dead after replacing battery

A friend of my has a 2000 Boxster S with the OEM Radio/ NAV system. His battery died and when he replaced the battery the radio does not light up and ask for the code numbers (which he has). The radio worked fine before the battery died. I suggested that he check the fuses in the fuse panel but he said that they appear to be in good shape. I have learned that the regular radio unit has fuse in the back. Any suggestions would be apprecated. Specifically,

- Does anyone have any suggestions, again he has the code and it does not appear to be the fuses in the main fuse panel?

- Does anyone know if the standard NAV system Radio unit has a fuse in the back like the standard radio does?

- If it does have a fuse, does anyone know how to remove the NAV system radio as it does not appear to have holes for the keys as a standard radio does?

- In the event that the radio is shot any suggestions for a modern replacement NAV/Radio that would pop right in space?

mikehkang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:18 AM   #2

The radio appears dead, but it's not. I thought the same thing after I changed battery. I didn't read my booklet but finally hit the right button on the radio and it lit up and asked for the code.
tanque55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:06 PM   #3

tanque55 - I am Mike's friend. Just joined the forum. You said "The radio appears dead, but it's not. I thought the same thing after I changed battery. I didn't read my booklet but finally hit the right button on the radio and it lit up and asked for the code. "
- Which is the "right" button I tried hitting all the buttons on the PCM system and nothing worked. This is my second battery replacement and in the past when I turned the key it requested the code, now nothing completely dark screen. Any more details or ideas would be helpful.
DirtyDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:27 PM   #4

Ok I have found the answer to my issues and wanted to share to possibly help someone else out down the road. Turns out that 2 fuses were blown.
- The PCM NAV system Radio has a 10amp fuse in back of the unit just like the standard radio unit.
- To remove the PCM NAV system Radio unit it does not take keys like the standard radio unit. You must pry off the panels on the right and left of the unit (ie. Right Panel has has door lock, Cigarette lighter, etc). Just pry them off from the bottom. You can then reach in the space on both side of the unit and the sides of the radio unit itself has silver tabs that you can push in with your fingers then slide the radio out.
- After I replaced the fuse on the radio it still did not work and there was a fuse in the fuse box that was blown as well. I had checked fuse D8-Radio and D9-Sound Package and they were fine. It turned out to be fuse E5-Info System (7.5amp).

Last edited by DirtyDirk; 10-14-2013 at 06:30 PM.
DirtyDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:40 PM   #5

This must not have been a 2000 model.

dghii is offline   Reply With Quote