986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Fire Extinguisher (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/47954-fire-extinguisher.html)

trimer 08-23-2013 01:02 PM

Fire Extinguisher

Just curious - anyone (besides the racers) have a fire extinguisher installed in your car? And if so, where is it and why do you have it...are the cars known for catching fire?

jsceash 08-23-2013 01:38 PM

I have one mounted vertically between the seats it mounted to my roll bar extension / modified 5 point harness guide. North east region's are requiring all intermediate and higher DE participants to have a 2.5 pound extinguisher installed. My seat had to be lowered as far as possible to meet the 2" rule and it will not mount under the front lip of my seat.

TeamOxford 08-23-2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trimer (Post 359000)
..are the cars known for catching fire?

Yes, absolutely. A gentleman I met at an auto parts store, after noticing my Boxster, went to great lengths to tell me about his neighbor who bought one and had it catch on fire and destroy both the Boxster and his house.

Studies have shown that they will spontaneously combust, with little or no warning at all. This usually happens right after the owner forks over heavy money to get his IMS bearing upgraded.

Porsche consoles owners by assuring them that it could have been worse. It could have been the dreaded "D-chunk" failure. Then they are advised to purchase a Certificate of Authenticity for their ex-Porsche for historic provenance.

TO

(with tongue firmly planted in cheek!)

Topless 08-23-2013 03:13 PM

Boxster/Cayman are not "known" for catching fire but a few have burned down. Most often an overheated PS pump fails and dumps flammable fluid on the hot exhaust manifold.

I used to mount my FE with a fabricated adapter plate to the front of the passenger seat. This was convenient for me but sometimes passengers would catch the quick release with their pants and we would have a loose cannon rolling around the footwell. I now mount it to the front of my seat and it is a little less convenient but I am aware of it and never hit the quick release.

Gforrest2 08-23-2013 03:59 PM

My co-workers Boxster burned up a few years ago. He came to a stop and some kids told him his cars was on fire. He said yeah, right and drove off. A little while later he noticed his car was on fire and pulled over. Damage was limited to the engine compartment but it was written off as s total loss. He's got a Z-4 now and while he said it rides nice, it's not the same as a Boxster.

madmods 08-23-2013 06:37 PM

Johnny Danger 08-23-2013 07:12 PM

I carrying a fire extinguisher in the Dangermobile, not for fear of a vehicle fire, but in case I experience gastric distress after hot nude yoga.