986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Car beeps when locked, how to troubleshoot alarms? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/47854-car-beeps-when-locked-how-troubleshoot-alarms.html)

madmods 08-19-2013 06:09 AM

Car beeps when locked, how to troubleshoot alarms?

Pedrof 08-19-2013 06:34 AM

Did you check if the center console is completely latched in place?

madmods 08-19-2013 06:45 AM

madmods 08-19-2013 06:51 AM

thom4782 08-19-2013 08:56 AM

When the cars beeps, is it just one beep or is it two beeps. One beep means something isn't closed. Two beeps means something is broken.

Chard 08-19-2013 11:15 AM

Check trunk, frunk, doors, roof, center armrest.
Make sure nothing is blocking the sensors near the map light (windshield sunshade does this).
An aftermarket radio will also cause this if you haven't unplugged the alarm wire. Or of course, if your Becker isn't seated all the way in it's chassis.

Side note, but I wish the car WOULD beep as an audio confirmation of lock/unlock.

Joe B 08-19-2013 11:44 AM

My car has always beeped once when I lock it. All doors, top, trunks, consoles and glove box are properly shut. I like it to beep because it gives me an audible signal that the car's locked and the alarm's on.

Burg Boxster 08-19-2013 11:51 AM

quick test...

with top down and car locked/everything closed... reach in and open center console compartment. Alarm should sound. If not, they forgot to reconnect wire for lock... (my best guess based on your note re: seats/carpets removed).

Good luck :)

JFP in PA 08-19-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madmods (Post 358083)
Checked everything, glove compartment, roof, doors, everything but just can't figure out what triggers the alarm. It's annoying. Nothing shows up from the DME.

Mind you, I just got the car back from a major cleanup today.... seats, carpets, all was removed to get the job done.

The car can be scanned and will tell you the last ten alarm fault sources.

Chard 08-19-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe B (Post 358143)
My car has always beeped once when I lock it. All doors, top, trunks, consoles and glove box are properly shut. I like it to beep because it gives me an audible signal that the car's locked and the alarm's on.

This makes sense, however, the purpose of the beep is to notify you if something is open. You won't know if you accidentally left a door or trunk popped if yours is set up this way. It's unfortunate Porsche didn't think of a different system for this; perhaps a single tone for audible lock confirmation and a double tone for something left open.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burg Boxster (Post 358146)
quick test...

with top down and car locked/everything closed... reach in and open center console compartment. Alarm should sound. If not, they forgot to reconnect wire for lock... (my best guess based on your note re: seats/carpets removed).

I agree with this.

madmods 08-19-2013 01:04 PM

madmods 08-19-2013 01:13 PM

madmods 08-19-2013 06:30 PM

Joe B 08-20-2013 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burg Boxster (Post 358146)
quick test...

You're right; that was it!

jb92563 08-20-2013 06:15 AM

I had an odd occurrence this morning.

I unlocked the car by opening the trunk first, then when I got to the door I had to press the door unlock but once I got in the console remained locked.

I didn't even know the console could lock with the car keys FOB but its a neat feature and makes sense.

I had to unlock the console by putting the actual car key in it this time.

Upon leaving the car and locking it, I got the short horn honk for the console probably not being closed properly.

Is there an adjustment/alignment for the console sensor to stop this problem?