986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   wheel wax (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/47806-wheel-wax.html)

mountainman 08-17-2013 10:57 AM

wheel wax

Anyone found a good wax/polish for wheels that will make them easier to clean and protect them from the dreaded brake dust?

madmods 08-17-2013 11:11 AM

Mine had all kinds of impurities - optical ones included! I just went off and buy new wheels ;)

Sorry for not being helpful, just being over happy that's all

ATX_Boxster 08-17-2013 11:25 AM

I just take the wheels off once a year...give them a thorough cleaning...and apply a coat of basic cleaner wax. Like a Meguir's NXT Tech Wax. Brake dust comes right off.

jotoole 08-17-2013 11:51 AM

I have spoke (not wire) wheels. About once a month I'd sit on an upside down water bucket, then spend an hour or more scrubbing the the damned things, spoke by spoke, never got them clean enough to suit me. Seriously considered having them repainted.
Then I discovered SONAX wheel cleaner. Spray it on, let it sit couple of minutes, then rinse with high pressure water stream, like those available at your local coin operated DIY car wash. Dust comes right off, also, really brightens the wheels, and this stuff seems to have a repellent effect.
Buy mine @ AMAZON.

mountainman 08-17-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jotoole (Post 357791)
I have spoke (not wire) wheels. About once a month I'd sit on an upside down water bucket, then spend an hour or more scrubbing the the damned things, spoke by spoke, never got them clean enough to suit me. Seriously considered having them repainted.
Then I discovered SONAX wheel cleaner. Spray it on, let it sit couple of minutes, then rinse with high pressure water stream, like those available at your local coin operated DIY car wash. Dust comes right off, also, really brightens the wheels, and this stuff seems to have a repellent effect.
Buy mine @ AMAZON.

Thanks, I will try it.

Flavor 987S 08-17-2013 12:21 PM

RejeX wax with Armor All Wheel Protectant as a topper. Awesome combo.

coreseller 08-17-2013 12:22 PM

I bought a flexible wheel cleaning mop / brush (it's about 15 to 18" long with handle) at Meijer and used it today for the first time with Simple Green to get deep into the OEM 18" Turbo Twists. MAN................I should of bought one of those things years ago, made cleaning behind the spokes a breeze.

Hearing the horror stories regarding what a pita it is to keep BBS LM type wheels clean is why I've stuck with the 5 spoke Turbo Twists.

patssle 08-17-2013 12:34 PM

.:: WheelWax ::.

After I put it on my wheels the first time - I couldn't stop looking at them. They looked AMAZING. They also have a tire dressing that works nicely.

l3m 08-17-2013 01:05 PM

^^ +1. I get it from Discount Tire.

M31 08-17-2013 01:07 PM

Has anyone tried wheel wax on the red brake calipers? I've spent more time on these than the rest of the car put together. After trying all kinds of products that left them clean but dull I found really good results with olive oil believe it or not. Gives them an amazing shine after cleaning.

Auf los! 08-17-2013 01:43 PM

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1376775437.jpg

I'm using Meguiar's Carnuaba Plus, which is a hybrid of real carnauba and synthetic polymers. Since I wash the wheels weekly, I wanted something with some staying power. To help clean them I found a little synthetic sheepskin "brush" that I whip around inside the spokes. I've been using very dilute Simple Green, but I have to say this Sonax stuff sounds interesting...

mump 08-17-2013 02:58 PM

I park my car for the winter and every spring I take off the wheels - wash, swissvax regular cleaner and then a coat of swissvax autobahn wheel wax. It lasts me thru the summer.

V-Rod 08-17-2013 06:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Wow, that Swissvax looks like the stuff that would do the job! HERE

san rensho 08-17-2013 06:52 PM

Any wax works. Don't over think it.

mump 08-17-2013 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by san rensho (Post 357847)

No, swissvax autobahn is great. It has Teflon in it. Swissvax even recommends it on the front bumper and mirrors and use the regular swissvax for the rest of the car.

ekam 08-18-2013 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by san rensho (Post 357847)

+1.

For the amount of work involved I'd rather just clean my wheels more frequently since they'll eventually get dirty anyhow.