Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2023, 02:13 PM   #1
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

P0455 inquiry

I've done a fair share of reading about this code, and my circumstance may have occured to others and someone might have insight on how to correct it.

Last Friday... Saturday I drove away from the pump... with the nozzle resident in the filler tube. I heard the plastic hose rub against the car, immediately stopping. Hose disconnected at the nozzle, but remained hanging by the two small tubes inside the primary hose. Anyhow...

I removed the nozzzle, came right out. However, I noticed that the filler tube housing (?) (the metal hole in which you place the nozzle... the surrounding metal "housing" slight was ajar, ever so slightly "tourqued", "pulled" towards the rear of the car. Surprise! The same direction the nozzle was headed when I pulled away fron the pump. I can see it, but it is slight.

Anyhow... before I begin taking the wheel liner off, getting all up in her... I'm wondering if anyone has been through this, or might recommend an order in which I should examine. I don't have a smoke machine.

To compound the problem... my running out of gas fiasco which led me to look into the tank (empty) has left the car with a gas smell. It wafts. I returned to the sleeve above the fuel sending unit... removed it... also noticing a small pool of gas atop it... then tightned it to the point where the dab of old glue aligned with where it was before I forst removed the sleeve. Got the sleeve all snugged up... snapped the fuel lines back on... sealed her up... and the smell remains. Once I have some direction on the P0455 matter I'll examing the fittings on the sending unit... thinking maybe something is cracked.

Thanks, fellas.

Last edited by Starter986; 08-23-2023 at 02:14 PM. Reason: OCD
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 02:30 PM   #2

P0455 indicates a large fuel tank ventilation leak, considering the problem with the fill hose, you may have dislodged one or more connections between the fill tube and the EVAP system.
Old 08-23-2023, 02:52 PM   #3
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
P0455 indicates a large fuel tank ventilation leak, considering the problem with the fill hose, you may have dislodged one or more connections between the fill tube and the EVAP system.
Thank you, JFP.

I'll do more reading on those connections... the hoses... pull the liner and examine. Hopefully it'll be obvious if something is disconnected. I'll pull and wiggle.

Thanks, again!
Old 08-23-2023, 02:53 PM   #4

Doing a smoke test would be quicker..................
Old 08-23-2023, 03:16 PM   #5
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Doing a smoke test would be quicker..................
I agree. I'm either going to make one or buy one. That, and some reading.

Thank you, JFP. Your wisdom is appreciated.
Old 04-02-2024, 09:58 AM   #6
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Wanted to conclude...

Last weekend decided to replace the fuel tank rubber sleeve... the one I'd been sitting on for months, and with that occasional waft of fuel and ever-resident CEL... denoting the P0455 code.

Removed the two fuel connections... the vent tube... and electrical connector.

Removed the lock ring... that can be a bugger... and used a pry bar to encourage it out.

Pulled up the fuel pump/sending unit... a couple/few inches... and there was the original (or however old it was, not replaced in the 6.5 years I've owned it, rubber sleeve. (Porsche Sealing Ring for Fuel Tank Level Sensor Uro Parts 1J0-919-133 A Pelican Parts site). Anyhow...

That ring had somehow become dislodged for it was resting, askew, above the sending unit/pump appliance. Clearly that was from where the wafting originated. Since I had to remove the battery the P0455 was cleared, no biggy.

I've since driven it ~100 miles... 10 drive cycles or so... and no code has emerged. The OBD2 reader I carry reveals no pending.

I discovered that installing that rubber ring first into... atop the tank made for an easier reinstall of the unit. I had installed the rubber ring onto the unit... then attempting to snug it into the top of the tank. That didn't work... for ridiculous while. With the rubber ring first installed into/atop the tank... the unit slid right in.

Thankfully it didn't, or hasn't yet again sprung the P0455 code. If it pops up I know I'll then have to begin looking at the fuel filler tube on down. Evap country. Then the smoke test, and an update.

Last edited by Starter986; 04-02-2024 at 10:00 AM.
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote