986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Looking at a 2001 Boxster....any insight? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/4771-looking-2001-boxster-any-insight.html)

jeff740 01-14-2006 09:54 AM

Looking at a 2001 Boxster....any insight?

I am currently looking at purchasing a 2001 boxster. I was looking for any negative feedback on this year/model and problem items that I should be looking for.

The car also has 40,000 miles and I was wondering what sort of items I might need to replace or service. Also, just wondering if this car would have a timing chain or a timing belt that will need replacement and if so then when??

Thanks for the help :)

MNBoxster 01-14-2006 10:53 AM

Hi,

No particular issues with the 2001, except the standard things common to all Boxsters - RMS, Minor Electrical issues etc.

There are Minor Service Intervals every 15k mi. and Major Service Intervals at 30k mi. - you want to have documentation that these were performed, and, in a timely manner.

Before contemplating any Porsche Purchase, you need to Bite the Bullet and have a PPI (Pre-Purchase Inspection) done by a Dealer or Qualified Porsche Mechanic. This will aid in slanting the Odds in your Favor, but won't Absolutely Guarantee a Perfect Car. A Proper PPI will cost $200-$300. Don't even consider buying the Car without one - I'd sooner Light a Match in a Fireworks Store...

So far as Timing Belt, there isn't one, this is accomplished by a self-adjusting Chain. There is a Poly-Rib Accessory Belt, or Drive Belt, which runs the Waterpump, Alternator, AC Compressor, PS Pump, and Airpump. It's Service Interval is 60k mi. or 4 years, but few would let it go that long, I'd suggest a change at 30k mi.

Also, Brake Fluid needs to be flushed and changed every 2 years and the Life-Long Coolant is a misnomer and should also be changed at 150k mi. or 5 years whichever comes first. All these things would be due, if not documented as having been done.

If I were Buying a 40k mi. Car, I would also want to see documentation of at least 1 4-wheel alignment, a receipt for a set of Tires as the OEMs would not last this long and a Brake Pad change as this is also most likely due.

Don't try to get it on the Cheap because the Most Expensive Porsche to Own usually turns out to be the one which was Cheapest to Buy. Good Luck!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Brucelee 01-14-2006 10:56 AM

Sage advice from Jim.

Make sure run a car fax, the PPI includes a paint meter check and pull the full warranty claims from the Dealer.

Good luck!

idjiot 01-16-2006 03:13 PM

New Owner as well

I just bought my '01 a few months ago and per the advice of the forum had the PPI done. Turns out that the car, because it was sitting in a garage for about 3 months without being driven, bore the early signs of rat infestation. The dealer warned me about this being a HUGE potential problem as he had had a 911 Turbo that had about $10k worth of damage (apparently rodents have a fondness for german wiring - as he stated it).

Either way, I chose to bite the bullet and so far so good (knock on wood).

You might want to pay attention to this bit as there are a lot of Porsche owners who don't drive their Porsches.

The one other thing is to check out extended warranties as that can be quite useful whenever purchasing a used car.

Good luck!

socratic 01-19-2006 09:57 PM

Bought my 2001 almost a year ago. Loving it.
No problems other than some worn pulleys and alternator shaft (problems that are appearing on some Boxsters now regardless of year). All pulleys replaced and alternator shaft rebuilt. Working fine now.

docdyh 01-21-2006 02:43 AM

Can the warranty claims history be pulled from any dealer? I know the service history is only available from the dealership where serviced. Thanks.

docdyh

Brucelee 01-21-2006 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by docdyh
Can the warranty claims history be pulled from any dealer? I know the service history is only available from the dealership where serviced. Thanks.

docdyh

Yes, warranty claims data is available to all dealers via their Porsche computer service data base.

Adam 01-21-2006 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idjiot
I just bought my '01 a few months ago and per the advice of the forum had the PPI done. Turns out that the car, because it was sitting in a garage for about 3 months without being driven, bore the early signs of rat infestation. The dealer warned me about this being a HUGE potential problem as he had had a 911 Turbo that had about $10k worth of damage (apparently rodents have a fondness for german wiring - as he stated it).

Either way, I chose to bite the bullet and so far so good (knock on wood).

You might want to pay attention to this bit as there are a lot of Porsche owners who don't drive their Porsches.

The one other thing is to check out extended warranties as that can be quite useful whenever purchasing a used car.

Good luck!

I totally agree with you but the car in question here has 40,000 miles so it is definately a driver. Either way a PPI is always a good idea regardless of mileage.