Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2013, 08:07 AM   #1

Neighborhood Theft Spree

A couple months ago someone rifled through my car taking spare change and a $5 pocket knife. They missed two pairs of Ray-bans and helped me find my wheel lock key so I was only a little annoyed. Last week they got into my wife's car and got two pairs of designer sunglasses and some cash. They also hit up the neighbor's car for some minor stuff and at least one or two other in the neighborhood. The cars were probably unlocked. It's a quiet neighborhood and the cars are probably locked 95% of the time.It's likely a local teenager.

I'm thinking of making up a decoy box of goodies that will mechanically activate an air-horn or even some pepper spray. Not sure I want the pepper in the car and it could leave me open to retaliation. Any ideas on catching bastard?

Wret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:18 AM   #2
jakesbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wret View Post
A couple months ago someone rifled through my car taking spare change and a $5 pocket knife. They missed two pairs of Ray-bans and helped me find my wheel lock key so I was only a little annoyed. Last week they got into my wife's car and got two pairs of designer sunglasses and some cash. They also hit up the neighbor's car for some minor stuff and at least one or two other in the neighborhood. The cars were probably unlocked. It's a quiet neighborhood and the cars are probably locked 95% of the time.It's likely a local teenager.

I'm thinking of making up a decoy box of goodies that will mechanically activate an air-horn or even some pepper spray. Not sure I want the pepper in the car and it could leave me open to retaliation. Any ideas on catching bastard?
I like the air horn thing. thats funny. If it were me and this will sound weird...If I had to leave my car out, I just would make sure there was nothing in it and leave it unlocked so they dont try to gain access another way ie through back windown or through the convertible top. But again - that is just me. maybe they will get the hint that there is no reason to go to your car as there is never anything in it. OR go buy a cheap camera for outside and catch them on tape and give to the cops.
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #3

Game camera. Set it up with a flash. When "buddy" comes around your car, gets the flash going off, he won't be back.
Rickinduncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #4

Last edited by madmods; 08-29-2013 at 03:27 AM.
madmods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:34 AM   #5

Garage
We had a crime spree like that a few years ago in my hood. I was talking with one of my neighbors that had two teenage boys. He said "yeah, what's really strange is I had x-amount of cash in my truck and it was unlocked last night and they didn't take a thing"..... I said "oh reeeeally"?? Crime solved.
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:36 AM   #6

Last edited by madmods; 08-29-2013 at 03:27 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:01 AM   #7

$5 garden snake in pasenger seat.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wret View Post

You might have to strain the remains for finger prints:

What ever happened to locking the car and turning the alarm on..........
Old 08-12-2013, 09:48 AM   #9

100% kids friendly, just don't aim at the eye like your mother taught you.

ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:50 AM   #10

Last edited by madmods; 08-29-2013 at 03:28 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:57 AM   #11

Garage
When I moved into my neighborhood 20+ years ago, one of my neighbors came over and said "Sure hope you like kids, 'cause they all play in your yard"... I responded with "Sure hope you like Rottweilers, 'cause I have two"!! Hilarious!
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:26 AM   #12

I'm liking the game camera idea, though I'd like to also use my air-horn idea and scare the beejesus out of them. Even if I don't catch them, they probably would avoid my driveway after that!
Old 08-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #13

Garage
I like this system. Couple it with a security cam..

12V DC Car Security Smoke Screen
2003S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:31 AM   #14

The lady down the street stopped by on her way through the neighborhood to warn me to "keep an eye on that pretty car" because her convertible VW bug was stolen from her driveway. She said that the police were able to recover it, but that's got me paranoid.

My only option is to park in the driveway. We've had our cars messed with in the past by neighborhood punks. I had some automatic lights set up, which seems to be a deterrent. The funny thing is that I had less problems with people messing with our cars when I lived in the city than I do in the suburbs.
cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:44 AM   #15

Old 08-12-2013, 12:08 PM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmods View Post
Hang on there.... is this a real website/product or a really-really good joke?
I think it is real. Pretty awesome...
2003S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:27 PM   #17

The zapper 9000 would be perfect in this application.

I think it vaporizes finger prints on your shinny paint as well so you don't have to wash the car after.

Or what you can also do is lift the prints off your car, then open a free energy drink stand with a video camera and numbered cans, and then lift the prints from the cans and match them up with the video and viola, you caught your thief and have all the neighborhood kids finger prints.

Everyone needs a fun hobby
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:40 PM   #18

Old 08-12-2013, 12:44 PM   #19

Old 08-12-2013, 01:28 PM   #20

I like the payback aspect, I really do (and I am evil) the more painful/embarassing the better. But I think I would need to ID the perp to avoid retaliation.