986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   TipTronic problem: from 2.nd-3.rd takes too long! (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/47687-tiptronic-problem-2-nd-3-rd-takes-too-long.html)

haz 08-11-2013 11:16 PM

TipTronic problem: from 2.nd-3.rd takes too long!

From cold, if I use the kick down on a long stretch - it should shift from 2-3-4-5 and then brake. But twice yesterday, the revcounter (in 2.nd) goes up til 5.000 and sort of bang left and right between 5000-4800 for two seconds, before it finally goes to 3.rd (4.th and 5.th goes fine).
While the revcounter goes left/right there, my instinct tells me to shift myself up to 3.rd on the steeringwheel, but it should do this fine by itself.. (remember, the engine isn't really cold, as I always let it sit for a few moments to let the oil spread around before revving..)

So, a tranny oil change + filter change maybe? These trannys "never" fail, do they?

I don't always believe everything I see on tv, but on "Wheeler Dealers" - Mike China proved that an oilchange for the tranny did the trick on an early Boxster S that slipped in the gears..

2:50 in: Wheeler Dealers - Porsche Boxster S by carvideoseu - Car Videos on StreetFire

madmods 08-12-2013 04:30 AM

haz 08-12-2013 04:39 AM

Hey, thanks madmods! Much appreciated :) :cheers: :cheers:

So, I'll try and disconnect the battery and do the routine you described. Is this to reset the programmed ECU and then make it start over again with a "clean sheet"?

How long should this drive be and what revs? Just vary my driving? Some city and some highway?

It is going in for a small service friday aug 23.rd. I'll make sure they check that the tiptronic coolant valve works as it should, even if I'm doing the above mentioned routine.

madmods 08-12-2013 07:02 AM

haz 08-13-2013 07:28 AM

Thanks again madmods, sadly, now it even started making noises in neutral :confused::confused:

I did record it though, just 1 hour ago:

Listen at 1 sec mark, 6 sec, 11 sec and then again at 19 secs...

PS: turn the volume to max! Its hard to hear it....

Porsche Boxster Tiptronic transmission - noises in neutral - YouTube

madmods 08-13-2013 03:40 PM

haz 08-13-2013 10:25 PM

I only heard it (beacuse it is so low sound) when I'm parked (red light and such) but I'll try and rev to see what happens then. I only heard that same sound, and it hasn't changed in pitch at all.

I did a search and this guy had what I think could be somethign similar, and that was the power steering fluid resevoir that needed to be topped off
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/28107-04-2-7-tiptronic-whining-noise.html

madmods 08-14-2013 01:05 AM

haz 08-14-2013 01:40 AM

lol... I know, right? :)
thx again..

Skootnasty 08-14-2013 02:29 AM

PIWIS report would be really helpful. TCM controllers are very good at logging faults, even if no lights are illuminated in the cluster. If a fault is stored the tech can look at stored data at the time of even (i.e. ATF Fluid temp sensor) and get a good idea of where to go.

The vac. valves do fail regularly, so even if you need a more in depth trans repair, it is worth replacing regardless.

Skoot

haz 08-14-2013 03:09 AM

The Box is going in for a small service friday next week and one of the jobs they will be performing is a diagnose where they hook it up to the computer to check for fault codes. Hopefully it shows "something cheap" :) (I know, there is not such thing as cheap..)

madmods 08-14-2013 06:27 AM

haz 08-14-2013 06:28 AM

Much obliged!