Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2013, 08:04 AM   #1

Best way to turn off airbag light

Hi,

I replaced my indicator stalk on my 986 yesterday and unfortunately I reconnected the battery whilst the airbag was unplugged and didn't realize this would trigger the airbag light to stay on even after the airbag was plugged back in.

From what I understand, an OBD-II cable can't diagnose and reset this error and you need a Porsche-specific cable to do this.

I was looking at a few of the cables - there seem to be 2 main third-party cables, the PIWIS and the Durametric.

Porsche PIWIS Cable For ECU Reset Check Engine Diagnostics : Amazon.com : Automotive

Amazon.com: Durametric Porsche factory style scan tool: Automotive

The reviews seem to be variable on both sides as to whether they can reset an airbag light. Has anyone been able to reset an airbag light with either cable? $34.99 is a bargain if it works!!!

Thanks!

John

johnappleby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:12 AM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnappleby View Post
Hi,

I replaced my indicator stalk on my 986 yesterday and unfortunately I reconnected the battery whilst the airbag was unplugged and didn't realize this would trigger the airbag light to stay on even after the airbag was plugged back in.

From what I understand, an OBD-II cable can't diagnose and reset this error and you need a Porsche-specific cable to do this.

I was looking at a few of the cables - there seem to be 2 main third-party cables, the PIWIS and the Durametric.

Porsche PIWIS Cable For ECU Reset Check Engine Diagnostics : Amazon.com : Automotive

Amazon.com: Durametric Porsche factory style scan tool: Automotive

The reviews seem to be variable on both sides as to whether they can reset an airbag light. Has anyone been able to reset an airbag light with either cable? $34.99 is a bargain if it works!!!

Thanks!

John
Yes, Durametric works great. I was getting an Air Bag alarm due to passenger seat belt buckle latch. Replaced it, which requires seat removal to install, and cleared the Air Bag alarm with my Durametric, no issues since.

Anyone that works on their Boxster needs to have a Durametric, it will pay for itself very quickly.

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:14 AM   #3

First, only the Durametric software, or a real PIWIS will turn the light off. That said. the cheap "PIWIS" is a Chinese knock off of the Durametric system that probably uses a clone of the really old Durametric software. So along with risking damaging your DME with an unknown system, you are also potentially undermining the only aftermarket firm that continues to support and develop diagnostic tools for the entire Porsche community, particularly the DIY segment.

So choose wisely................

Tags
airbag light