Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2013, 08:10 PM   #1

Question Lost security lug socket

The search results indicate that the dealer is the place to go for a replacement, but in my case the car is not drivable and the dealer is 30 miles away. Can I get a replacement with just the VIN and proof of ownership? It is possible that these lug nuts have been changed from factory, can they match it up what I need using a high quality photo of the notches? What do I need for the dealer to make a match? Thanks, Joe

Xcellr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:26 PM   #2

Garage
I got rid of the silly things. Any thief that wants to steal my tires has one of those lug nut tools that fits any nut so why make my life miserable every time I need to remove the wheels for service? The stealerships I believe are the only place to get them. Good luck and open up your wallet.
1olddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:27 PM   #3

Garage
I would call the dealer and try to explain your situation to find out. Otherwise, you could try ebay, as that is where I sold mine.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:53 AM   #4

A picture from your smartphone or a drawing should be fine. Once you get it off, replace w/ regular lug. Not worth the trouble.
'05 Sportster
Brockmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:15 AM   #5
Mobile Porsche Surgeon

The lug keys are numbered, some dealers or mechanics will write the numbers under your front hood. Like mine is number 20 and it is marked with the radio code with other info with a Sharpe.

http://www.mikesspecialtyautomotiveservice.com/index.html
Early 1996 / 97 Boxster, 130 k, De snorkeled, IMS, Top Speed Headers.
kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:45 AM   #6

Replace?

Surely you jest. Get the damn things off and toss them in the trash.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:32 AM   #7

I concur...just get rid of them entirely. The socket itself is made of cheap pot metal and mine actually cracked in half while trying to remove. I just went down to my local porsche dealer and they had the correct socket on hand. I had the service guy loosen all the lock lug bolts and replaced them with standard OE's I bought on eBay. Dealer removed them free of charge.
jeffm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:27 PM   #8
Rennzenn

Garage
+100 on getting rid of the things. I bought a 996 that was missing the key. I used an old 1/2 drive socket that was just a tad smaller than the key, pounded it on with a sledge, and off they came. Total cost to remove=free. I had 4 lug bolts in the parts bin, but if you don't, they're cheap, too.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:48 PM   #9

Thank you all

Really appreciate the help. The sledge hammer 1/2 socket is a great idea. And then, after that, you all have convinced me to trash the security socket. Kashmir, what a great business, too bad I'm in Central Illinois where there aren't enough Porsches to make that happen. Thanks again everyone. Joe
Xcellr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:33 PM   #10

Just be aware, our US alarms don't have the tilt sensor like the rest of the world, so if you have nice wheels and ever have to park overnight on the street...
Oh, and most of those "universal" sockets won't fit in the lug recess of the wheel to quietly remove the security sockets, although pounding on a sacrificial socket is still an option.
I got tired of cleaning rust and went to titanium lugs, but then added Ti security sockets for the above reason.
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:43 PM   #11

If your dealer is cool, they'll let you borrow the shop's master set if you leave them your credit card and bring it back promptly.....