986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Coolant leak from valve inside engine compartment? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/47644-coolant-leak-valve-inside-engine-compartment.html)

rsf 08-10-2013 06:23 AM

Coolant leak from valve inside engine compartment?

1 Attachment(s)
Hello all…I’m hoping someone can help. I’ve searched a number of forums, but can’t find anything specific to my coolant leak in the engine compartment. In the picture (I have others pictures as well), you can see the coolant flowing out of a little (what looks to be) valve, however can’t find any reference anywhere on how to replace this. Do I need to pull out the coolant reservoir and would it be part of that process? The coolant reservoir looks good as does the reservoir cap (newer part number).

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Spinnaker 08-10-2013 02:59 PM

Can you identify it from these part diagrams?

Porsche Boxster Water Cooling 2 Parts
Porsche Boxster Water Cooling 1 Parts

rsf 08-10-2013 05:10 PM

I've looked at those diagrams, but couldn't identify the part that's leaking. I'm guessing I'll have to pull out the coolant reservoir and see what's leaking. From what I've read, it's a little challenging.

thom4782 08-10-2013 08:49 PM

Can you post another picture or describe where the part is. It's hard to tell where this is in the engine.

rsf 08-11-2013 06:08 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The area where the leak is coming from is near the truck firewall...I hope these pictures help.

Pedrof 08-11-2013 02:39 PM

Seems to be the control valve for the transmission cooler

Porsche Boxster Transmission - Page 3

My mechanic changed mine recently. He did not have to pull out the reservoir. He accessed the removal and replacement of the part from below removing a couple of hoses (sorry i wasn't giving attention to the work during that time) and he had to replace the coolant and bleed the system after.

rsf 08-11-2013 04:56 PM

looks like the culprit...thanks!

off to searching the forums for tips and tricks on how to replace

Pedrof 08-12-2013 02:05 AM

Glad to be partially of help :)

rsf 08-18-2013 02:44 PM

completed...

Just a quick update to thank those that pointed me in the correct direction. On Friday I was able to replace the shutoff valve. It was much easier to install than it was to get out. Below are two links that helped me get my Boxster back on the road -

I didn't go the extent of this post, but it was a definite advantage to remove the wheel and the hose clamp pliers are a "MUST" -

Question: Procedure to replace transmission cooler shut off valve on 1999 986 - Pelican Parts Technical BBS

This post helped with bleeding the coolant system (end of article)...something I'm not sure I would have don't to this details -

Boxster Projects | Center Radiator Install

Thanks again!