Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

View Poll Results: Is your Boxster current on DMV inspection?
Yes 18 85.71%
Nope! 3 14.29%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2013, 06:32 AM   #1

Vehicle Inspection

Is your car current on its state inspection? Obvioulsy those who don't have to do this do not apply.

Here in NJ, window tinting is banned. Which means I have to peel it off and re-do it. $100 each time.
And not having a front plate, also banned. I haven't had a front plate on a car since the early 90's.
Sooo...... I'm still riding around with a 2010 inspection sticker (gulp). Somehow I have not been cited.
On my last trip to my Indy mechanic I noticed a few other Porsches in for repairs haven't bothered either.
Seem like cops around here don't hassle us.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 08-09-2013 at 06:34 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:58 AM   #2

Garage
In the UK we have an MOT.
Its an annual test which gives the owner a certificate and also logs the validation to the central computer.

The test is quite thorough including lights, tyres, emissions, suspension etc, etc.
This cross references with your insurance, also on the computer and your annual road tax, again also on the computer.

You cannot apply for road tax on a car with no MOT so not MOT no tax.......
and in the UK - no tax will see you car removed from the road and crushed!

No insurance will see that you get penalty points on your license. The central computer has a complete record of it all so there is no escape.

So for UK drivers - yes our inspections are up to date.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:25 AM   #3
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Mine expires this month and must be current for registration. Getting it done next week
Old 08-09-2013, 05:41 PM   #4

Hardly anybody in a P-car has a front license plate here in Texas and it's illegal - yet they pass our inspections.

http://imgur.com/a/k0Wtl - My 914-6 Build/Project Story
patssle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:42 PM   #5

Garage
Just got mine inspected today. They had to replace a headlight bulb so it would pass, but everything else was fine.
Here in NC, we receive our paperwork to get our new registration and tag, and it tells on that sheet that we must get our vehicle inspected first. They just started doing that the last couple of years.
Next year they will start sending all that along with the vehicle tax bill, so it must all be paid at the same time, or no driving.
I guess they are trying to stop those from driving who don't feel like paying the taxes on their vehicles.
Thankfully we are not required to have a front plate. I had my holes plugged a few months ago when I had the front repainted.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:16 PM   #6

Garage
In Massachusetts vehicles must pass inspection on a yearly basis. This includes everything from emissions, lights, tires, suspension ect... and yes the dreaded front number plate requirement. Inspections are performed by independently licensed repair places. And, the variety of jackasses performing the inspections range from wannabe cops to a bunch of "by the book" idiots. Until of course one of their friends comes by with his or her $500 sh~tbox, and suddenly they're able to overlook a few things. Fortunately none have dared to mess with JD and the D-mobile ! Judo chop !!!!

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 08-09-2013 at 07:19 PM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:38 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
Here in NJ, window tinting is banned. Which means I have to peel it off and re-do it. $100 each time.
Wow, not even the slightest tinting whatsoever? Here in Texas we can have it up to 20% light transmission (Very dark). I am sure NJ does not get as hot as TX in the summertime however.

As far as DMV sticker, yes I am up to date. My concern about being expired is what if one were to got into an accident and it is later brought up in court that the vehicle did not pass inspections and was unsafe?
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:20 PM   #8
Certified Boxster Addict

Amazing that we don't have this type of annual inspection (or worse) in Commiefornia - how the heck did the State Legislature miss this?
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:22 AM   #9
Damn Yankee

Garage
In Texas, a yearly inspection is required, and a current inspection sticker must be displayed on the windshield. The State doesn't remind you when your yearly inspection is due. You must be diligent enough to get it done on time.

If your car is lacking the sticker, there is a chance you will be stopped and ticketed. If you live in a large city like Dallas, and commute a long distance like I do, there is a good chance you will be stopped. Some smokies will park facing highway traffic expressly looking for expired inspection stickers. If you need a source, I've got the ticket to prove it.

Paying traffic tickets infuriates me. I'd rather burn the money than pay the State. So yes, my registration and inspection stickers are current.

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:24 AM   #10
jakesbox

Must be too many surfers running the show down here in florida. Zero inspections, tint is encouraged because of the sun and heat and we are not required ro have a front plate...matter of fact when you get plates they only give you one!
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:45 AM   #11

Garage
I'm in NJ as well, and used to put the front plate on my Miata just for inspection. When I moved up to the Box, I put in bumper plugs and ran without the plate. After being pulled over twice in the first year (luckily no ticket), I made a little custom plate bracket to put it as low and recessed as I could. I obviously prefer the non-plate cleaner look, but it doesn't look too bad, and it is nice to drive around without any obvious infractions. A friend just uses some double-sided tape to temporarily affix the plate once every two years for inspection.

I don't have the tinting issue, though I had to remove the front window tints to get my Touareg through inspection. I didn't bother replacing it.

Side note: Obviously make sure to keep your registration current, since a few municipalities now have the active plate scanners. My niece had her car towed last month, as it was parked on the street with an expired registration. The scanner ran the plate, sent the location data to the towing company, and the car was gone the next morning. The officer said the system is totally automated, and they are not aware when it's active. He also said that when it's in use, they get a lot of stolen car reports, only to check the system and see that it's been impounded by the town.

Point being, this system can just as easily run your plate and check your inspection status, then mail you a ticket. Though I have yet to hear of this ever happening.

-T
tomonomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
Is your car current on its state inspection? Obvioulsy those who don't have to do this do not apply.

And not having a front plate, also banned. I haven't had a front plate on a car since the early 90's.
Sooo...... I'm still riding around with a 2010 inspection sticker (gulp). Somehow I have not been cited.
On my last trip to my Indy mechanic I noticed a few other Porsches in for repairs haven't bothered either.
Seem like cops around here don't hassle us.
You have to be nuts if it isn't; in many states, this would be grounds for the police to confiscate the car and tow it at your expense.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:07 AM   #13

Mine is up to date because I have everything in order. Unfortunately they made me go get a new gas cap.

On a side not my dads lincoln aviator had a sticker from 2008 and a cop followed my mom to our store and pulled her over and told her to get that up to date. Only reason it was out of date was because we forgot. SO ya the cop was cool just told us to get up to date. I don't know if all cops will be this kind in jersey but I didn't want to take a chance so I got my box inspected on time wont need another till 2015.
Bmod986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:41 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
You have to be nuts if it isn't; in many states, this would be grounds for the police to confiscate the car and tow it at your expense.
not in this state. NJ is one of 30 states by my last check that stopped inspecting vehicles for mechanical defects to save millions in the inspections. This also includes no longer checking safety like brakes and tires. Commercial vehicles still have to be inspected in the old way. You still have to get your car inspected for emissions but even that was downgraded to cars that are five years older or more. It's also non-points ticket so I'd wagered on just paying the $100 fine. But as it happens there's a shop around the corner that I just noticed that does the emissions check.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:16 AM   #15

I have current NJ inspection, but my car is stone stock. If you want to save some hassle, find a local independent inspection station with "loose" morals, pay him $75-100, and get your sticker. That's what I started doing with my '89 Toyota. I used to switch wheels so I didn't get failed for oversized tires & bumper height.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen wilson View Post
I have current NJ inspection, but my car is stone stock. If you want to save some hassle, find a local independent inspection station with "loose" morals, pay him $75-100, and get your sticker. That's what I started doing with my '89 Toyota. I used to switch wheels so I didn't get failed for oversized tires & bumper height.
NJ MVC has a list of private inspection facilities on their website. I called one shop the guy quoted $65. Made no fuss about the window tint or missing front license plate. All they did was stick the reader in the exhaust and check the fuel cap. I had my sticker in 10 minutes. There are simply too many cars in this state to go through all these inspections.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:34 PM   #17
Track rat

Garage
In Calif emissions testing is every two years with no further vehicle inspection. No smog cert= no registration tag. If the current reg is expired beyond 30 days the car may be towed and impounded.

One of my service techs owned a truck and paid reg fees but was having trouble passing smog. A plate-reader cop spotted the truck, pulled him over and impounded the vehicle, leaving him stranded alongside the road. Sweet. $600 to get his truck back and it still won't pass smog.