Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2011, 07:24 AM   #1

Air/Oil Separator Removal and Installation

I just replaced my AOS yesterday and I would like to share with you how I accomplished this task. It is not easy and I have to do it by trial and error specially its my first time to do it. I did it in my driveway. I have 2002 base boxster.

Removing the AOS is a PIA.
1.) I have to jack up the car and remove the passenger side rear tire.

2.) Remove the air intake tube, wire connector and all other hoses. See Pedros Garage for more information.

3.) Disconnect the oil filler tube that run across that top of the engine to create more space in front of AOS.

4.) Disconnect all tubes from AOS. This is not easy unless you have a small hand like me. To do it, you have to press the plastic connector ring and simultaneously pull out the tube.

5.) Remove the two small bolts (10 mm) holding the AOS through the tire well. This is for the 2002 model. You have to use a very short open/close offset wrench to get these bolts. You only have almost 1 inch clearance to do the bottom bolt. Not easy. I had a lot of frustrations and cursing.

6.) Once the AOS is free from all the flexible (upper) tubes, the bottom rubber accordion type tube (sleeve) that is connected on top of the engine block is a problem. I can not get a plier to disengage the metal clamp. Since I am replacing it, I don't care if I break it. So I forcefully pull it out and use utility cutter to cut the rubber accordion tube. This is the only way I can get the AOS free.

The installation is the reverse but securing the bottom accordion type rubber tube (sleeve) on top of the engine block is not easy. The supplied metal clamp is not easy to deal with because of lack of space. Even using very small vise grip can't do it. I wish I have that special hose clam tools that Pedros Garage is using, but I don't.

What I did is I took out the rubber accordion tube (sleeve) from the new AOS and install it FIRST on top of the engine block using the supplied metal clamp. I used the vise grip long nose locking plier to do it. Be carefull, this metal clamp has so much compression force that if it slip out from the plier, can fly like a bullet and hurt you! Its happened to me once and its hurt. Make sure that this rubber accordion tube is in vertical position.

Then I place loose this 2" adjustable metal hose clamp (Home Depot) to the top portion of this rubber accordion tube. Position and connect the new AOS to this rubber accordion tube. Make sure that the male outlet on the other side of the new AOS is in the right slot. Try to push it in to secure it. Don't worry if you didn't get it all the way because once you tighthen up the two bolts, it will push it through automatically.

Secure the new AOS with the two bolts, tighten the 2" metal hose clamp and re-connect all the tubings, electrical connector and hoses together. The cost of a new AOS is $105.00 and free shipping from ********************************************************************************************. I hope this will give you some insight when you need to do this.

Last edited by itoy; 07-06-2011 at 10:22 AM.
itoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:00 PM   #2

Garage
I'm doing mine right now...those bolts are pretty far up there and are being blocked from the rear....argh..

reiver is offline   Reply With Quote