Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 06:32 PM   #1

Bad CPS = Reference mark not present?

I drove home today, got home and checked my codes. Still had the P0102 and now I also had a P0112, I'll follow up that on my MAF thread. But what intrigued me was the fact that my hot start issue was back. When the car is set to start the starter turns over the engine, the engine catches, and then it dies. I repeated it. Then just to push my luck, I tried it again. Twice with the same result. No ignition at all. Just the started turning the motor over.

Since I had my PST2 plugged in, I decided to browse around. The one item that caught my eye was the Reference Mark under the Input signals section. Thinking this might be the engine CPS I wanted to see what the value was. What I got was Reference Mark not present signal. A Google search brought up the Impulse Sender for the phrase Boxster Reference Mark Sensor. So I'm thinking this really might have something to do with the Crankshaft Position Sensor and just maybe I've caught the sensor in a hot failed position. I'm going to check this theory out later after the motor cools, but thought I'd ask here if anyone knows anything about this option and if it does indeed reflect the CPS status?

Old 08-06-2013, 06:21 AM   #2

FWIW, the car started up just fine this morning. Reference Mark showed as present with an impulse graph too. Doubt if the graph was more than an icon showing the CPS was working though. The PST2 did not show the CPS was working until the engine was running.

Last night I found that when the starter kicks in the PST2 connection is broken, so don't think you can check the CPS status just by turning the engine over with the starter.

If anyone knows of a way to check the CPS status in the car, feel free to let me know.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:29 AM   #3

Post #75 shows what the readings across the pins of a CPS should be. Post #77 shows where the CPS is on your motor.

Starts, Fires Up, Dies... - Page 2 - Pelican Parts Technical BBS
bar10dah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:39 AM   #4

Thanks! I see if I can't check the readings before I replace it.