986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Short shifter or not ? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/47536-short-shifter-not.html)

The French Dude 08-05-2013 07:48 AM

Short shifter or not ?

Hi I am wondering the usefulness of a short shifter on my Box S
Is the felling better with that or not ?
And which one is better or has the best quality/price ratio ?

Thank you !

jb92563 08-05-2013 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The French Dude (Post 355703)
Hi I am wondering the usefulness of a short shifter on my Box S
Is the felling better with that or not ?
And which one is better or has the best quality/price ratio ?

Thank you !

I'm going to install mine this Friday so I'll update here, but most folks prefer the new feel and like it better.

I don't know that it will reduce your 0-60mph times but I'm sure it will feel like it does, and having that fun feeling is what its all about.

At ~$60 and its easy to put the old hardware back in if you don't like it, its probably worth trying out.

I don't know that there is any difference in quality or performance as long as you dont buy the one with the Aluminum lever as I've heard it can fatigue break.

The steel lever is prefered.

The French Dude 08-05-2013 08:11 AM

Thanks JB I saw some at 60 to 299... It's a gap so I was wondering the fundamental difference...

Chuck W. 08-05-2013 08:16 AM

A lot of us have installed the 997 shifter console in our Boxsters. It has a shorter throw and is a lot smoother. The part number is 997-424-010-00

navair 08-05-2013 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The French Dude (Post 355710)
Thanks JB I saw some at 60 to 299... It's a gap so I was wondering the fundamental difference...

Many of us sprang for the Porsche 997 shifter ( comes in normal and shorter flavors). For $140ish,
it's a nice improvement!

Wret 08-05-2013 08:25 AM

I bought the $50 one and "upgraded" because I sometimes can't resist the urge to tinker. No problem at all with the quality. I can't honestly say I like the shift feel any better. It becomes the new normal in a couple of days. I did get compliments on how crisp the shifting the other day from a friend I let take it for a spin.

The Radium King 08-05-2013 08:43 AM

it'll make existing problems with your transmission worse. ie, if you are having problems getting into second it'll be tougher getting into second with the short shifter.

if you want to spend a lot check out numeric racing.

trimer 08-05-2013 09:01 AM

Did not have it in my 02 and it was already installed in my 03 and I absolutely love it and would never go back to original. I have the original in the box used for about 5000 miles and it will sit until I sell it. Makes my driving experience that much better

CT986S 08-05-2013 09:23 AM

I went from stock in my 01 S, to a 997, now have the current B&M. Having done that, and similar in my Miata, I can say the comment that it will magnify any flaws is correct. Yes, the pattern is shorter, but stiffer/notchier. You have figure out where the balance is for you.
For me, the shift from 2nd to 3rd is now a thing of beauty, much improved over stock. The others are shorter but stiffer, and I like the balance.
See if you can try different ones in friends cars.

black_box 08-05-2013 02:18 PM

I didn't like stock or my B&M on the 986S. Too notchy, girlfriend got **tchy when she drove it. My 987S shifter feels great though. There's one for sale on the planet-9 board for $70 Panjo Marketplace[mshow]=listing&p[id]=987-997-standard-shifter-excellent-condition-16324

I drove the 987S with OEM short shift in Mountainman's car, and it's pretty sweet too, not notchy like my B&M.

RandallNeighbour 08-05-2013 02:47 PM

I was given a cheap Chinese made one off eBay by a guy and had it installed and I love it. Makes downshifting at the track under stress and Gforces a LOT easier for me.

It's the same thing Schnell sells for a LOT more money from what I read and have seen in comparison pictures.

It's a good mod. Just make sure if you do it that you replace the linkage bits because the factory ones are crap and break when you remove the old shifter. Can't remember who sells better billet made ones, but those are the ones you want. Search the web for "boxster shift linkage" and you'll find it...

patssle 08-05-2013 05:10 PM

It does make you focus on the shifting into 3rd - at least for me. Not often but occasionally I get hung up going into 3rd because I nick the space between 1st and 3rd and it blocks it from sliding into 3rd. Not a big deal though.

The French Dude 08-06-2013 07:11 AM

Well I will do the mod so...
Thank you all!

black_box 08-06-2013 07:19 AM

make sure you buy a shifter alignment tool. It's $3 worth of plastic that will save a lot of hassle in making sure you get it right.

On a side note, the girlfriend and I will be in Montreal and QC City in a few weeks with the Boxster. How's parking? Any recommendations for good roads in the countryside?

The French Dude 08-07-2013 03:21 AM

pm'ed you Black Box

heliguy 08-07-2013 05:41 AM

Is the shifter stalk the same length as the stock shifter? Will my shift lever fit on the 997 lever?

ekam 08-07-2013 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by black_box (Post 355883)
On a side note, the girlfriend and I will be in Montreal and QC City in a few weeks with the Boxster. How's parking? Any recommendations for good roads in the countryside?

Good roads in Montreal? How about just average roads? You're going to need wheel alignment after driving thru there. Montreal is a lovely city but roads are ****************.

If only Quebecois can learn how to maintain roads like French do...

Kenny Boxster 08-07-2013 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ekam (Post 356141)
Good roads in Montreal? How about just average roads? You're going to need wheel alignment after driving thru there. Montreal is a lovely city but roads are ****************.

http://www.montrealmemes.com/wp-cont...usa_quebec.jpg

:p

ekam 08-07-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny Boxster (Post 356160)

Very funny and true at the same time. :cheers:

The French Dude 08-07-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ekam (Post 356141)

If only Quebecois can learn how to maintain roads like French do...

Unfortunately, you true... :cheers:
French or anyone else...