Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2006, 06:39 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to jiggysubman
Angry central locking, or door lock?

when i put the key in the driver side door to unlock the car, it only unlocks it mechanically, ie the light does not come on, the window won't come down its 1/4" and the other door wont open at all. When i do the same thing on the passenger side door, it works just as it should. Also, if i open the door from the drivers side, and start the car, lower the window, and begin driving, the red light on the lock button will illiminate periodically.
Is this a problem with just the drivers side door lock? Or Is this a problem with central locking in general? Anyone had this problem before? Any fixes?

jiggysubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 07:01 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggysubman
when i put the key in the driver side door to unlock the car, it only unlocks it mechanically, ie the light does not come on, the window won't come down its 1/4" and the other door wont open at all. When i do the same thing on the passenger side door, it works just as it should. Also, if i open the door from the drivers side, and start the car, lower the window, and begin driving, the red light on the lock button will illiminate periodically.
Is this a problem with just the drivers side door lock? Or Is this a problem with central locking in general? Anyone had this problem before? Any fixes?
Hi,

First, it helps greatly when asking a question to identify your Car's Model Year and any relevant Options as there are many variations to the systems of the Car(s) - Help People Help You!

One thought I have, has your Door recieved any kind of Service? The symptoms you describe match those associated with replacing the Door Lock Mechanism in the Door.

There is a Guide Spring which runs from the Lift Actuating Lever to a Spring Hook. When reinstalling the Door Lock, you need to reconnect this spring to the Door Lock Mechanism prior to installing the Lock Mechanism. Failing to do this can result in problems with both the Central Locking Function and the Alarm/Window Drop Systems.

Note: This Spring automatically disengages the 1st time the Door Lift Handle is used, so if the Lock was removed, the Spring would be in it's Normal disengaged state and if the Service Person was not aware of it's function, they may not have reset it when reinstalling the Door Lock Mechanism.

The Fix entails removing the Inner Door Panel (after disconnecting the Battery and waiting 1 min. so you don't trigger the Airbag), removing the Lock Mechanism, resetting the Spring and then reinstalling everything. Not very difficult, need a T-25(?) Torx Driver and a Plastic Pry Bar to remove some of the Panel Trim. Total Repair Time - under 30 min. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 01-12-2006 at 07:05 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 11:25 AM   #3

i have a 97, it doesn't have any factory alarm, just the central locking system. I did replace a window regulator on the drivers side almost 9 months ago, and i did remove the door locking mech. to look at it, but would the problem take this long to surface? I wonder, if I replace the lock mech. with another one, will it still take the same key, or does it have to be re-coded?
Old 01-12-2006, 11:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggysubman
i have a 97, it doesn't have any factory alarm, just the central locking system. I did replace a window regulator on the drivers side almost 9 months ago, and i did remove the door locking mech. to look at it, but would the problem take this long to surface? I wonder, if I replace the lock mech. with another one, will it still take the same key, or does it have to be re-coded?
Hi,

Before you go replacing the Lock Mechanism, did you reset the Spring Guide when reinstalling the Lock? If not, I'd try this first. Would it surface after so long a time...?? Who do I look like... F. Pieche..?? Give it a try, also, check all grounds, fuses, connectors, etc. Good Luck!!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 02:22 PM   #5

well, i finally looked at the locking mech, and the spring was not attached. So with my insanely good handyman skills (shown in the pictures) i was able to attach the spring. However, the problem remains, intermintantly. When i played with the wires and the connector that goes from the microswitch right next the the actual door handle and sends the signal to the window, it would toggle the window up and down. Could this be two problem areas causing the same effect. Perhaps i should look for a new door lock assy. on ebay.