986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   3k oil changes (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/47518-3k-oil-changes.html)

jacabean 08-04-2013 06:25 AM

3k oil changes

for the past 2 years i have been changing my oil every 3k (castrol 5/40) . I did a change yesterday and took a close look at the filter . I could only find a very few little particles . It seems that frequent oil changes keeps things much healthier in the M96. I got a chance to look at an M96 broken down at A PCA meeting and some of the passages the oil has to travel through are so small it is a wonder clean oil can move through them. Clean oil is key to these motors in my opinion.

I also did my AOS , and let me tell you 03 cars are not the same as earlier cars , maybe a little easier to install . So be care full if you reference 101 boxster projects with an 03 , 04 car they are not the same.

ChrisZang 08-04-2013 08:41 AM

so you change the oil 5 times as often as Porsche recommends?

Johnny Danger 08-04-2013 08:46 AM

All this hype about synthetic oils lasting thousands of miles. Why bother ?

recycledsixtie 08-04-2013 08:48 AM

I compromise - I change oil/filter using Mobil Synthetic every 5k miles. So far so good after 12k miles in the last 2 years of ownership(2001 base Box now with 43k miles...)
Probably overkill at that rate but worth it for peace of mind and checking for metal in the filter.

jacabean 08-04-2013 10:37 AM

It may seem like over kill but as we know these engines can be very sensitive . Clean oil , checking the filter lets me sleep at night and I can rev it without worry. I can also add even with 3k on the oil it is very black and dirty looking . the appearance of the oil may not mean anything but it sure looks spent . I would never run 10k oil changes in any car .

Perfectlap 08-04-2013 12:33 PM

Very easy solution. Do an oil analysis after a few of those 3k mile changes and compare to a 10k mile analysis. I'm not sure if these labs can and do check for zddp levels but I would be interested in knowing the levels coming out of the car after a 3k change vs 10k. If there's a significant reduction below the recommended level (see T. Callas thread on the issue) then you'll know the answer for your engine.

jsceash 08-04-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacabean (Post 355589)
It may seem like over kill but as we know these engines can be very sensitive . Clean oil , checking the filter lets me sleep at night and I can rev it without worry. I can also add even with 3k on the oil it is very black and dirty looking . the appearance of the oil may not mean anything but it sure looks spent . I would never run 10k oil changes in any car .

I don't see how there is any problem with changing your oil more often. It's your money and your investment. Personally I track my car about 6 times a year and every weekend is followed by an oil change. My early season oil changes may see as little as 1000 miles.