Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2013, 07:11 AM   #1

95k too many miles to buy?

Going to look at a 2002 seal grey boxster s with 95k on the clock. Asking price is fair. Car does not have service records. Located at a dealer. Has carrera lights and cleared out headlights. Looks to be clean. Risky purchase?

PorscheBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:06 AM   #2

Garage
There are lots and lots of Boxsters out there WITH service records that you could feel more secure with. Risky purchase but have a PPI before anything else cause that can reveal some major headaches before you take the leap.
1olddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:52 AM   #3
DIY extremist

I bought a car with similar miles a couple years back. It wound up needing wheel bearings, water pump, belt, clutch, brakes, tires, stabilizer links, and coils within the first year. Did the replacements myself pretty cheap, but it would be several k'$ if you paid a shop to do all of it. If you can't / don't want to do this stuff yourself, add $3k to the cost of the car you're looking at and ask if it's still a good deal. You can prob find a <50k mile car for $14k-$15k (S models) or a early 987 S for $25k. I don't recommend a non-warranty car from a dealer.... you get no advantages over private party for the price premium.

Check condition of interior plastics too, they tend to not hold up well if the car's been topdown much.

That being said, my first Boxster was amazing and I have no regrets!
black_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:45 AM   #4

Checked out the car. It was complete junk.
PorscheBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:11 AM   #5

close call !!
litespeedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:22 AM   #6

Buy the newest car you can afford. In my case, I wish I spent $10/20 000 more as, at just over 2 years of ownership, I think I'd have spent less, overall. And I've done a lot of work, myself. Having said that, these cars seem to need a lot of work around the 60-70 000 mi mark and it should be all done on the car you're considering. I've done ( by 75 000 mi) pads, rotors (4), brake fluid/ flex lines (4), clutch, flywheel, IMS bearing ( LN engineering), tires (4), refinished wheels,idler pulley, AOS, MAF, struts/ anti-roll bars ( not needed), exhaust bypass pipes and 997 short shifter ( performance upgrades). Currently installing the idler pulley and chasing a short in the right FR light assembly. It needs a roof, next. Hopefully the car is less needy during the next 2 years or I'll bail and get something newer. Choose carefully.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:04 PM   #7

I should have delayed purchasing my car for a much newer S with far fewer miles

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote