986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Sensitive to tire pressure (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/47485-sensitive-tire-pressure.html)

teleski 08-02-2013 10:25 AM

Sensitive to tire pressure

I've never had a car this sensitive to tire pressure. Neglected for a few months and was down to 30/32. Pumped back up to 32/36 and the ride is noticeably better. 2000 base with 18" sport design wheels, Pilot Super Sports.

Check yours today.

Perfectlap 08-02-2013 11:36 AM

A few months??
This is a sports car brother not a boring people sedan! Everything is sensitive, its inherently the nature of a sports car. Don't hurt its feelings, check tire pressure at least every other gas fill up. You're going to give it a complex.

p.s.
helps to avoid wheel denting and cuts down on the rattles.

patssle 08-02-2013 11:45 AM

The sticker on my car calls for 29 in the front for all sizes - is that too low?

thstone 08-02-2013 12:24 PM

29 front is not too low. Factory spec is 29F/36R. This will result in understeer so some owners increase the front pressure a few pounds (31-32) and lower the rears a few pounds (34-35) to try and balance out the handling a bit. Ultimately, it depends on what you like.

Hayden 08-02-2013 12:32 PM

I'd go with weekly. My 18s are a little wobbly and bent on the insides, but seem to hold pressure fine. I still do it weekly. If you are feeling a bit lazy, go to wal mart and get one of those electronically controlled air pumps with the PSI settings. I like to do completely cold readings, so I've always used a bike pump (good workout) but this little thing has been a joy. It turns off when the pressure has been reached, and is very accurate.

edit: also 32/36 is much better than factory specs. Car rotates like you want it to.

noemayotteaz 08-02-2013 12:38 PM

Knoway

Bought a "used" base '07 Boxster w/53K miles from a private party. Check tire pressure sensor came on right away. Local Porsche Dealer told me that the tire pressure monitors have a built in obsolence of 5 - 6 years. That's gonna be a $900+ expense that I hadn't planned on!
Also got a groaning in power steering...needs fluid added. How difficult is it to add fluid?

teleski 08-02-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap (Post 355311)
A few months??

Yes, yes, I know. My tires actually maintained pressure for a few months over the winter so I grew complacent. Been driving more lately too.

I was running 29/36 when the tires were first mounted, but quickly bumped up the front a couple pounds as it made the steering a little more responsive. 32 is a little higher than I had, I'll see how it goes.

thstone 08-02-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noemayotteaz (Post 355335)
Also got a groaning in power steering...needs fluid added. How difficult is it to add fluid?

Power steering fluid level can be checked (and added) by putting the soft top in the service position and removing the engine cover. The power steering cap is in plain view on top of the engine towards the front of the car (past the intake plenum).

Perfectlap 08-02-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teleski (Post 355361)
Yes, yes, I know. My tires actually maintained pressure for a few months over the winter so I grew complacent. Been driving more lately too.

I was running 29/36 when the tires were first mounted, but quickly bumped up the front a couple pounds as it made the steering a little more responsive. 32 is a little higher than I had, I'll see how it goes.

I can alway tell by the rattles if some recent rough roads dropped the pressure a pound or two. I bike ride daily on low profile tires which will pop off the bead if the tire pressure goes too low, so I'm tire pressure OCD. I have a nice Longacre gauge.

BYprodriver 08-02-2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap (Post 355311)
A few months??
This is a sports car brother not a boring people sedan! Everything is sensitive, its inherently the nature of a sports car. Don't hurt its feelings, check tire pressure at least every other gas fill up. You're going to give it a complex.

p.s.
helps to avoid wheel denting and cuts down on the rattles.

Reduced air pressure = softer ride & reduced rattles.

Having trouble pinpointing source of a rattle? pump up the air pressure.