986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Buying a Boxter? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/47482-buying-boxter.html)

Nomad 08-02-2013 06:16 AM

Buying a Boxter?

Hello All –

I am a new member of this forum and I need some advice from those who know Porsche's. I have found a used Boxter S which, I believe, is a relative bargain for many reasons. The fly in the ointment, however, is that if I do go ahead and purchase it the vehicle will be driven infrequently for the next 10 months or so. It would be stored in a dry, clean garage during the interim.

So ultimately my question is this: even considering the reasons I believe the vehicle is a good buy, would it be better off waiting until my work is over (retirement, yeah!) and the inactivity the vehicle would face, or should I not be overly concerned about it?

I appreciate any constructive comments/concerns/answers, and thank everyone in advance. BTW, always enjoy reading the forum, et al.

southernstar 08-02-2013 06:20 AM

Nomad, I see you live in Maine and as a result, I suspect that you may want to store the car for the winter in any event. As part of your PPI you really should have an oil change and the oil and filter checked for metal and other particles. So long as you change the oil again before putting it back on the road in the spring and keep a trickle charge on the battery you should have no problems.

Brad

thstone 08-02-2013 06:29 AM

No worry in storing a modern car for that amount of time. Just be sure to follow a sensible routine (search, its been covered on this and other sites quite a bit) prior to putting her away. Car will be quite happy upon re-awakening!

runjmc2 08-02-2013 07:05 AM

Unless it is a real bargain, and exactly what you want I suspect the prices will only be better in a year

johnsimion 08-02-2013 04:30 PM

If it's really going to sit for 10 months, I would also suggest putting some Sta-Bil in the gas, filling it up, and then driving it a few miles to distribute the Sta-Bil throughout the system. Also, don't forget a battery tender so your battery doesn't go dead on you.

Finally 10-17-2013 04:34 AM

Is a Trickle charger a good thing if storing in an unheated garage for the winter. There is another car that I do drive daily that will also be in the garage so it's pretty crowded in there and that car always has snow dripping off it (some puddles in the garage)

I'm guessing yes!? Didn't want to sound dumb, but had to ask

Perfectlap 10-17-2013 07:18 AM

There will be many, many, many good deal on Porsches in 10 months. The market is over-saturated with Boxsters, Caymans and Carreras. Take your pick. The last big engine upgrade (09-11) for the Boxster is now seeing the first of these example come out of warranty. That will only push down values for the first (97-99), second (00-04) and third (05-08) "generation" of engines.

Unless you are getting this deal significantly under market value then I would pass. With this much Porsche inventory there will always be good deals. Particularly if you are paying cash and interest rates go up -- prices of out-of-warranty cars will fall quickly.

fatmike 10-17-2013 05:27 PM

get the "S" ;)

/

The Radium King 10-17-2013 06:47 PM

if he got the 's' then he would have a boxster, not a boxter.

fatmike 10-17-2013 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Radium King (Post 368052)
if he got the 's' then he would have a boxster, not a boxter.

exactly - ;)

/

jcb986 10-18-2013 07:38 PM

I would drive it in the winter when their was no snow or a little snow and nice clean roads. Drop the top and turn the heater on high. Use to do that with the wife when we had a Corvette and she was several months pregnant.:cheers:

Get the S, never the base, big difference.