Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2013, 03:54 PM   #1

Garage
Sad day for me ....

.... But a happy day for another newbie into the 986 world. Decided to sell my 2002 S. put out an add, the first guy who took a look and a drive couldn't resist. He is feeling like I did a year or so ago, can't wipe the smile off his face. I got almost what I paid for it and now I am off to find the perfect used 981. Thanks for the entertainment my Boxster friends and the valuable information. Until I get back into another Box I bid you farewell! :ah:

1olddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:13 PM   #2

Good place to frequent during your quest:

981 Chat -
Old 07-30-2013, 06:20 PM   #3

Garage
I thought the reason why you sold your boxster was because you couldn't fit all of your wives in it. Now you're going to get another one ?
Old 07-30-2013, 07:07 PM   #4

Garage
One wife is all I can handle and she has stuck with me for over 28 years now and several mid life crisis: motorcycles, sports cars etc. Sure enjoy all your posts, even when you poke fun at my religion. Mormons really aren't that bizarre if you get to know them. Happy Boxstering Brother!
Old 07-31-2013, 02:27 PM   #5
Carnut

So I guess you are not coming Saturday for C&C??
Old 07-31-2013, 04:03 PM   #6

Garage
I seriously can't believe I sold it. It was on a whim thinking I was asking too much then low and behold the first guy to look at it couldn't resist. No haggling or anything, 21k for my 02 S. I couldn't pass it up. I would love to be there anyway just to see the cars and fellow Boxster enthusiasts but my daughter is running in her first 5k that morning so that's where I will be. Thanks for the invite and glad your car is back on the road!
Old 08-01-2013, 01:48 PM   #7

$21k is a pretty good take for an '02 even if it is an S so not a bad sale.

Isn't it a little early for used 981s? I've been thinking the 981 might end up being the pinnacle of Boxsters before they fatten up the next version to keep the price up there. Seems like a good one to get used but I was thinking it would be a few years before they came up and/or the prices came down on used ones. I never really looked though.
CA_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:13 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Boxster View Post
Isn't it a little early for used 981s? I've been thinking the 981 might end up being the pinnacle of Boxsters before they fatten up the next version to keep the price up there. Seems like a good one to get used but I was thinking it would be a few years before they came up and/or the prices came down on used ones. I never really looked though.
You are probably right but if I take what I got for the 02 and save for a year I should be able to find something in my range. That's the plan for now. If I could have sold mine earlier I would have bought my buddies 09 S, Tip. He has a 4S and the Box was for the wife but she never drove it. They traded for a Infinity and the dealer only gave them 30k. Only 5000 miles on the thing. I would have given him 30k in a heartbeat but I wasn't quick enough. There will be more opportunities down the road so I will take my time for the right car.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:10 PM   #9

its a bad time for a used 981s but its a good time to sell a 986/987.1

actually it's a great time to sell a 987.2, those are about to start coming off warranty but I'm not sure that there are a lot of them because of the economy in 2009. So supply/demand makes it a little unclear. But sooner than later mass production will kill the big premium between the m97 engine and the first of the 9A1's. Which means you have the potential to lose a lot more money buying a 2009+ Boxster and Carrera if you buy one now and sell it in a couple years over buying an older Boxster, Cayman or Carrera at a good price.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:11 PM   #10
Carnut

That's it, waiting for the right opportunity! Either selling or buying. We just got an 08 Jeep Wrangler JK 2 door, 52,000 mls, with a lot of extra stuff such as hardtop, soft top, new brakes, tires, just serviced, one owner, etc etc etc, 14 "stacks", great deal! Try to find one here in Utah for this price. Not possible.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyA6 View Post
So I guess you are not coming Saturday for C&C??
I'm not going to make it this weekend (8/3). Next week, for sure.