Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 05:36 PM   #1

Clarification for some minor issues

Hi guys,

I have a few things that need clarification/confirmation since the car is new to me.
  • The vibration from the engine at idle is very noticeable. I can see the passenger's seat vibrate, and when I mount the phone holder on the windshield, it also vibrates a lot. Is that an acceptable level of vibration for our car, or my front motor mount is bad?
  • At high speed, the soft top (the lower, middle section of the rear plastic window) flaps a lot, and it creates a annoying flapping sound. Is it how it is, or there's something I can fix? I checked and couldn't find out how to increase the tension in the soft top.
  • I notice the rear camber is a little negative, and equally negative on both sides. Is that the default rear camber?

Thanks, any input is appreciated!

hancock1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:31 PM   #2

• To check for a bad front motor mount, accelerate and de-accelerate quickly in 1st gear. If you hear/feel any clunking noise, the front mount is shot. Another way, is to have someone follow you while you stop and go. If the tailpipe moves up and down, you have a new mount in your future.
• No info on this problem.
• Yes, that is the normal setup. A lot of owners complain about the inside edges of the tires wearing out too soon, but it is the price you pay to have fun in the twisties. You can have the alignment changed for better wear patterns on the rear tires, at the cost of some rear grip. Depends on what you value more, grip or wear. The rear tires wear out fast no matter what you do. If you have high performance summer style tires, the rubber compound is pretty soft.

3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote