986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Top panel over engine cover ? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/47421-top-panel-over-engine-cover.html)

Verhag 07-30-2013 05:11 PM

Top panel over engine cover ?

There is a wire restricting the removal of my upper or top carpeted engine cover box.
I assume it is a speaker wire but it will have to be disconnected in order to remove the cover. Does this sound "stock", aftermarket? Do any of you face this restriction and if so where do you disconnect? Don't want to break anything else!

Thank you

KevinH1990 07-30-2013 05:21 PM

I'm not sure about the OEM set up.

If you have an aftermarket kit similar to mine, the connector should be on the roll bar behind the passenger seat. It should be mounted below the "hoop" portion of the roll bar.

Good luck.

Johnny Danger 07-30-2013 06:32 PM

Are you referring to the rear shelf unit ? If, so, it sounds like it's the speaker connector that's part of the upgraded stereo option.

Verhag 07-30-2013 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Danger (Post 354791)
Are you referring to the rear shelf unit ? If, so, it sounds like it's the speaker connector that's part of the upgraded stereo option.

I'm sure you're correct, just can't see where to disconnect. I'm very good at breaking things....there has to be a simple way. Getting to the air filter, putting on the engine cover was pita.

Thanks for any guidance...

ChrisZang 07-30-2013 07:25 PM

in case you have an aftermarket top with a glass window then the wire could also be from the window heater

ATX_Boxster 07-30-2013 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Verhag (Post 354793)
I'm sure you're correct, just can't see where to disconnect. I'm very good at breaking things....there has to be a simple way. Getting to the air filter, putting on the engine cover was pita.

Thanks for any guidance...

I've got the upgraded 'stock' stereo, and with the top in service mode and the fasteners disconnected, the rear storage box lifts up easily and you can disconnect a plastic speaker wire coupler. Sounds like you might have an after market install...

Best of luck , and hope this helps.

Verhag 07-30-2013 08:23 PM

Thanks Chris, should there be an easy disconnect assuming it is the window heating wire..?
Just had a new GAHH to put on...I'll call installer in the AM....bet that's it.

ChrisZang 07-30-2013 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Verhag (Post 354812)
Thanks Chris, should there be an easy disconnect assuming it is the window heating wire..?
Just had a new GAHH to put on...I'll call installer in the AM....bet that's it.

It shouldn't be in the way in the first place, but the plug for it is close to the drivers seatbelt ( basically behind your left shoulder )

Verhag 07-30-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisZang (Post 354819)
It shouldn't be in the way in the first place, but the plug for it is close to the drivers seatbelt ( basically behind your left shoulder )

Yea, something's not right...will stop down at top installer and revisit this. Thanks again.

Verhag 07-30-2013 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisZang (Post 354819)

Yea, something's not right...will stop down at top installer and revisit this. Thanks again.